Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is Media Creation Tool writing data?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

Hello, I'm trying to run the MCT and I don't have enough space on C:, which is good because I don't want MCT writing stupid data to my SSD.

I'd like to know where the MCT writes data so I can create a link to my HDD and have it download there, like I did with Windows Update.

Does anyone know how I can find out?

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Selecting iso file should give the option to download the iso to a location of your choice. Use the iso file to burn a DVD or use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=198&v=9joGBBCdmfg

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

^^^^^ This is how I do it. You can choose any physical location that you want.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

I can only download the ISO when on a different operating system. Whe using Windows I always get redirected to the MCT page, even usin the full link "https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO". Am I missing something in the video?

If there is not I have another PC running Arch and I can do it from there.

Edit: I'd also like to download the ISO that contains both 32 and 64 bits, so I'd rather use MCT. Can I do what I asked or is it not possible?

Edited by SupermanPrime, 08 May 2018 - 07:41 PM.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

You can only download and run the MCT on a Windows 7 or later computer. Once the Tool is downloaded (MediaCreationTool1803.exe), usually to the desktop, double click it and select the ISO option. You can copy the iso file to any location including a USB flash drive. Use Rufus and another flash drive to create a bootable flash drive or copy the iso file to a location on the HDD and then use Rufus to make a flash drive bootable.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Unless I am mistaken, the Win10 ISO these days contains not only 32-bit and 64-bit, but the material needed for all editions of Windows 10.  If you're not using it to upgrade an existing system or do a clean install of same it is the hardware itself that will determine the bit level and the license key you enter that will determine the edition.

It used to be that the Win10 ISO could fit on a 4GB USB drive.  You now need an 8GB, though it doesn't get entirely filled.

I can't remember when I last chose a specific bit-level for a Windows 10 ISO, but it was many Versions ago.

When you use the Media Creation Tool and select the option to create media for another computer, which is what downloads the ISO, you can choose where it is saved to.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

I've used the MCT many many times. That's not the problem. Before selecting the destination, the MCT tells me I don't have enough space in the C: drive, even though I have no intention of using the C: drive (an SSD) to download it.

By the way, you can selct an ISO with both images. Before booting the installer you get a prompt that asks you which one you want to install, which is very useful for me because I usually install it in multiple computers running 64- and 32-bit OSs.

Here:

Untitled.png

Right after this step, this happens:

image.png

Which leads me to think that regardless of my choices, the tool will write wherever it pleases, and then move the image to the destination.

Anyways, if there is no solution, I have already downloaded both images from Arch Linux, so if you choose not to reply again, thank you all for your assistance and patience!

Edited by SupermanPrime, 08 May 2018 - 09:31 PM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

You need to change the path of your download folder.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

You need to change the path of your download folder.

That's the thing, I never get the chance. I get that message before choosing.

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:02 AM

Do you have a drive on the computer in question with more space? If so, download and run MTC from that drive and maybe it will default to that drive or does it default to C: either way?

#11 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Do you have a drive on the computer in question with more space? If so, download and run MTC from that drive and maybe it will default to that drive or does it default to C: either way?

I have my downloads folder in D: (HDD with about 500GB of free space), and the MCT is in D:\Downloads, but it still defaults to C:.

My guess is that the MCT writes all the data to a temporary folder, say C:\Temp, and then copies the ISO to the final selected destination (AutoCAD does the same thing; downloads the installation files to C:\AutoCAD and then installs to the destination, which really pissed me off), so if I can figure out where this temporary folder is, I can create a link to a folder on D: and problem solved.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

How little space do you have on C:\?

16GB isn't all that much space to consume temporarily, and if you've actually got less than that does Windows 10 itself have enough "breathing room" to function normally?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

How little space do you have on C:\?

16GB isn't all that much space to consume temporarily, and if you've actually got less than that does Windows 10 itself have enough "breathing room" to function normally?

I've got about 9GB, but it's irrelevant because I don't want the MCT writing 16GB in my SSD just to copy it somewhere else. It's remarkably stupid and makes me f* mad.

For now I'll settle with downloading the images separately, but if anyone finds the answer please let me know!

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

I've got about 9GB, but it's irrelevant because I don't want the MCT writing 16GB in my SSD just to copy it somewhere else. It's remarkably stupid and makes me f* mad.

For now I'll settle with downloading the images separately, but if anyone finds the answer please let me know!

Well, as you've already noted, it is incredibly common for many downloaders to use a temp file location, only moving the file once successful and/or deleting the unsuccessful attempt.

Regardless of your feelings about same, that's not going to change.

It would be interesting to know where the download is going, though.  If anyone can tell me what tool I'd use to try to determine that while the download is downloading from the MCT I'd be happy to do so.  It takes long enough over DSL to download the ISO that I have plenty of time to "fish around" while its doing so to see what's happening.  I've just never tried to ferret out where a temp download location has been setup in the past because I've had no need to nor interest in knowing.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Other people with the same issue. Doesn't look like there is a way around it even when using a symbolic link.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-do-i-change-temp-folder-for-media-creation/96754683-ee3e-4711-a095-d847448a7395

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users