Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another fix or buy new dilemma

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abricru

abricru

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

I currently have a Toshiba Satellite Radius 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop. 

• Intel Pentium N3540 Quad Core Processor 2.16GHz
  • 4GB DDR3L RAM
  • 500GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
  • 11.6" Widescreen HD TruBrite LED-backlit Touchscreen Display

Unfortunately I accidentally stepped on it and cracked the screen.  That doesn't really bother me that much, but I also started having problems with the hard drive overheating I think. Sometimes the computer would just shut off.  I think I may have worn it out by leaving it on all the time.

I never used the touchscreen, I just liked the 2-1 design because it kept my cats from stepping or lying on the computer while I was watching a movie.

I'm shopping for a new laptop with a SSD and at least 8gb of RAM, but seems like the ones I like are out of my budget.

I am not a gamer, just use the internet a lot and like to multi-task and stream videos. I use a mouse.  I'm not sure which specs would affect web browsing speed the most, or how much better the newer icore processors are than what I have.  Someone told me they were able to replace the Toshiba HDD with a solid state, but that the RAM is soldered in (?) and cannot be upgraded.  I miss having the optical drive too. Battery life is not important because I keep it in one place 99% of the time.

You guys have helped me a lot in the past so maybe you can give me some tips.  I'm not sure how much I could get for the Toshiba if I sold it, but anything would help.  So which would be the best, try to get a new ssd for the Toshiba or sell it and get  a Dell Latitude or Inspiron, HP Pavillion, Spectre, Acer Aspire,  Lenovo, maybe something refurbished?

So grateful for any advice :)  Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

When was the last time it was cleaned? Dust alone can make for some high temps. If you can fix that you could put an SSD in it for an amazing boost!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

good morning my friends,

you can order a replacement screen for your laptop for a fair price

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/

certainly a cheap ssd will give you some extra speed

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-ssd-deals-today/

even cheaper prices through china or asian sources 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:26 AM

Exactly...what is your budget that you have in mind?

Louis

#5 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

hi my friends,

only you decide if you gonna repair your laptop, if you gonna buy a new one or whatever

personally, if i am satisfied with my laptop why not to pay some money to repair it or to upgrade the ram and ssd disk

i am willing to pay up to 80 euros for the screen replacement and for and the hard disk for an ssd one

i am sure that with 80 euros you cannot buy a laptop like the one you have

laptops are good for every day use but... they have a short life span... even the high end one's have a short life span something between three and four years of hard every day use

older (2008 - 2013) laptops seems to lasted much longer than today's machines

this is my very personal opinion

Edited by nickos, 09 May 2018 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users