Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Whatsoever

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Borney

Borney

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

the problem:
just yesterday i booted up my computer as normal. i signed onto AIM, like usual, and all of a sudden, my speakers started making this odd sound, and then all sound cut out. my first instinct was to check the cables: i did, but still nothing. so then i clicked on the volume bar in the desktop tray, and everything froze up: i couldn't move my mouse, keyboard, and ctrl alt deletes didn't work, absolutely nothing worked or moved. so i did a hard restart. i got to the login screen of windows and typed in my password and signed it. it said "loading system preferences" like usual, and then a blue hardware screen flashed for just a second, and it rebooted itself. so i started it up again, and again it froze after about 10 minutes and i had to hard restart. i did a system checkpoint restore to thursday (october 5th) and nothing helped.

possible cause?:
a long time before this problem ever occured, my motherboard fan started to die. eventually, it cut out completely, and i went to compusa to look for a small replacement. i found a kit, and tried to install it but it wouldn't work because the thermal paste wasn't sticky enough. all this time i would get an error message on bootup saying "chip fan speed too low/fail". this was understandable because it did fail so i would just hit f1 to continue. i would still use the computer normally: games, talking, schoolwork without a mobo fan. this probably wasn't the best idea but i made sure it had cool air by either opening the windows or sticking the end out so it sucked in fresh air. anyway... my friend came over to help with the new fan and said he could disable the system message on startup about the fan failing. he went into the bios and turned off the message. this is the only thing he did.

as of right now im on the injured computer typing this out. it hasn't crashed for 45 minutes, so that's looking good. the only problem is that windows still doesn't recognize my speakers (i've been using the same speakers for 6 months and haven't had a problem) i already went into the category sounds under control panel and changing the sound scheme but nothing as worked. no, the speakers are not broken or damaged in anyway. any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Dan

ps: if you need anymore information, let me know and i will post ASAP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

Moved this topic from Win XP forums to the more appropriate.

You have major hardware problems now. Your friend did you no favor.

You need to seek the services of an on-hands qualified tech to save what is left of your system. Turn it OFF, until you get real Tech help.

Regards,
and good luck
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users