Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Intothemax

Intothemax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

I just got a used windows 7 desktop that I dont know the password for, Ive tried using the method where you change Sethc to sethc0 and so on, but it only changed the admin password, but the administrator account is not on the log in screen, Ive tried logging in externaly with no prevail since its not connected to the internet. How does one fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

you can create a Hirens boot CD....you can delete the passwords with that

however, if its a used computer you probably wanna wipe it and do a clean OS install anyway

#3 Intothemax

Intothemax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

How does one do a wipe?

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

How does one do a wipe?

you re-install your windows 7 using a bootable USB stick....if you dont have one, you can create one

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

You might want to do some homework before you do that. First, you will need to purchase a retail copy of Windows, and bear in mind that Windows 7 will not be supported by M/Soft in the future.

IF you have a retail computer, then most likely there will be a restore partition on the hard drive and you can use that to reinstall Windows. That would be better since it will contain all the system drivers and chipset drivers for that motherboard. Otherwise, you will have to search online for them. That partition is usually accessed by tapping a certain F-key when booting.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

You might want to do some homework before you do that. First, you will need to purchase a retail copy of Windows

why would they need to do that? it already has windows 7

Edited by mikey11, 09 May 2018 - 08:09 AM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

I was answering this part of the post:

you probably wanna wipe it and do a clean OS install anyway

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

If the OP has a valid key on the COA sticker, assuming the computer came pre-installed with Windows 7, they could do a clean install using an iso. See this post by Brian. A phone activation would be required.

Edit: Another option would be to do a factory reset using some key combination if there is a factory restore partition on the HDD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 May 2018 - 09:50 AM.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

I was answering this part of the post:

you probably wanna wipe it and do a clean OS install anyway

they still wouldn't need to purchase a key

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

Actually you are probably right; I assumed that since the computer was not his originally, and he could not access Windows at all, he did not have the key number. Without that key number he is up a creek without a paddle. Possibly could get it using 3rd party apps, or hopefully there is still a sticker on the box with the number. If there were 3rd party peripherals (video cards, etc.) added to the original box he would still have to search for drivers. And hopefully, the manufacturer will still provide a copy of the OEM installation, and that is iffy. Maybe M/Soft, for a price.

As I posted originally, the best bet is a system reimage from the restore partition.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 May 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

Without that key number he is up a creek without a paddle

no he's not....you don't even need the key....he can activate windows through the automated phone service

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:24 PM

I guess I am missing something here, but how do you activate with no key number?  So...why bother purchasing, just image a copy of any Windows from out of any machine,re-image it to your machine, phone M/Soft and *wallah*...it's activated. No key number needed. Sounds like a dream come true!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

This topic...is not about Windows activation or any of the other tangents that seem to have evolved...please re-read the initial post by the OP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users