Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my upload speed very slow?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Noctua

Noctua

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

hi

apologies if I am posting incorrectly in anyway I'm a bit new to the forum (today!)

I have now and then merely on a whim done a speed test on my internet connection, you know what i mean I am sure.

ping test always seems fast-ish, and download is never anywhere close to the max speed I am paying for but its cheap and OK for what I need. However my recorded upload speed is a fraction or the download mark. It is always hovering between 0.68 and 0.81Mbs.

I am asking if I have some kind of issue or is that speed the norm?

thanks for any help you can give me

Noctua

remember there is no such thing as a stupid question it is just the stupid person asking it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

Go Here.

My download is 23.57 Mbps and upload is 2.35 Mbps.  This is normal for my, cable connection.

Louis

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Go Here.

My download is 23.57 Mbps and upload is 2.35 Mbps.  This is normal for my, cable connection.

Louis

interesting,

never bothered to test mine before but just did......

download 39.64 upload 6.28

Edited by mikey11, 08 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#4 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

hi

apologies if I am posting incorrectly in anyway I'm a bit new to the forum (today!)

I have now and then merely on a whim done a speed test on my internet connection, you know what i mean I am sure.

ping test always seems fast-ish, and download is never anywhere close to the max speed I am paying for but its cheap and OK for what I need. However my recorded upload speed is a fraction or the download mark. It is always hovering between 0.68 and 0.81Mbs.

I am asking if I have some kind of issue or is that speed the norm?

thanks for any help you can give me

Noctua

remember there is no such thing as a stupid question it is just the stupid person asking it.

What speed profile are you paying for? I know most places are asymmetric with their profiles, meaning that the download and upload speeds are not the same. Also, did they hide a "up to" in the fine print in regard to your speeds?

#5 Noctua

Noctua
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

hi

thanks for the responses

Louis I used the test you linked to and made 4 runs 30 minutes apart and the scores on the doors were ping 34ms - d/l 9.41Mbps - u/l 0.84Mbps which is roughly close to the 10% you are getting.

Yet mickey11 shows it IS slow by comparison with his reading!

null__ that is a question we all ask! What speed profile am I paying for? Well with my provider Talktalk (and most ISP's) they are fairly slippery with their alleged speeds.

Nominally I am on the basic non-fibre UP TO 17mbps Broadband so I am reasonably happy with a d/l pushing into 9Mbps

I have had a look for upload speeds in my tiny print and I can't find anything

I asked the initial question because I didn't know if what I am getting is what I should be expecting

I think it would also be relevant to ask what does it matter what the u/l speed is?

again thanks for taking an interest

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

hi

thanks for the responses

Louis I used the test you linked to and made 4 runs 30 minutes apart and the scores on the doors were ping 34ms - d/l 9.41Mbps - u/l 0.84Mbps which is roughly close to the 10% you are getting.

Yet mickey11 shows it IS slow by comparison with his reading!

null__ that is a question we all ask! What speed profile am I paying for? Well with my provider Talktalk (and most ISP's) they are fairly slippery with their alleged speeds.

Nominally I am on the basic non-fibre UP TO 17mbps Broadband so I am reasonably happy with a d/l pushing into 9Mbps

I have had a look for upload speeds in my tiny print and I can't find anything

I asked the initial question because I didn't know if what I am getting is what I should be expecting

I think it would also be relevant to ask what does it matter what the u/l speed is?

again thanks for taking an interest

are you doing the test with your computer PLUGGED INTO your router with an ethernet cable?

or are you doing the test with a computer that is connected wireless?

the test should be done PLUGGED IN....ISP's will NEVER guarantee the speed of a wireless signal, only plugged in

Edited by mikey11, 09 May 2018 - 06:42 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Individual readings by members...are not intended to be interpreted as comparable.

Speeds provided will vary by connection, location, and other factors and are not intended to be taken as literal items at any time of any given day.

Depending on the type of connection...upload and download speeds should reflect the approximate same ratio for your system...on a moementary basis.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Individual readings my members...are not intended to be interpreted as comparable.

Speeds provided will vary by connection, location, and other factors and are not intended to be taken as literal items at any time of any given day.

Depending on the type of connection...upload and download speeds should reflect the approximate same ratio for your system...on a moementary basis.

Louis

you sound like a good salesman.....can't guarantee anything

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

In the world of computing...I find nothing to be capable of a guarantee...there are tons of variables surrounding just about every situation that can be imagined :).

Louis

#10 MGB007

MGB007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

My ISP is Cox Cable.  I use NordVPN for VPN service.  My typical internet speed WITHOUT VPN is 90 mbps download.  With VPN active it drops to 30 mbps.  The closest NordVPN server to me is 89 miles away.  The NordVPN server that I am hitting is only at capacity of 8% - 10% when I am hitting that server.

My belief is that with the Nord server that close, my internet speed should only be reduced about 10% -- Nord's technical support agrees with this.

Does anyone know if Cox intentionally throttles down speed when its systems recognize a customer is using a VPN service?  Cox technical support claims they do not throttle any speed to anyone whether they are using a VPN or not.

Are there any former Cox internet technical people on this forum that can answer this?

Thanks,

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

If there are not...Cox has a support organization/function that should be able to properly addresses any questions you have about your service.

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet.html

Louis

#12 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Your upload and download speeds will almost never match the maximum advertised speed of your connection. It's normal to only get 80-90% of the advertised maximum, and in the small print of your service provider's advertising you'll find that they only promise "up to" the advertised speed, not that you will always get that speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users