Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage Space on new laptop: SSD plus hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

Hi. I'm looking at buying a new laptop. I am told that the solid state drive is the best way to go but they're only 256GB. Is it possible to buy a lap top with a 256 SSD and a standard hard drive? If not where do I store all my photos, music, documents, etc?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

Do you mean that particular laptop is supplied with a 256GB SSD as the only option? SSDs are available in much larger capacities. Indeed there are laptops that can be fitted with two drives, but they're generally larger physical sized units for that reason among others, and tend to be higher specification and cost.

Edited by Platypus, 08 May 2018 - 10:02 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

I have yet to see a laptop with dual drives, an SSD and an HDD.   They probably exist for high-end business class machines, but since I don't purchase in that class I can't say for sure.

As to the answer to your question regarding storage, one could always get an SDXC card of very significant size and store on that, as you can keep it perpetually plugged in on the machine.  That or get an external HDD on which you would offload your "inactive archive" of materials.  You can fit an awful lot of stuff on a 256GB or 512GB SDXC card.

Regardless of what you do, you will want to backup all of the devices you use as your primary storage to a separate external HDD dedicated to that purpose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Interesting. I thought that after I loaded my program files, eg, Office, iTunes, Quickbooks, etc., most of the 256 GB would be used up. My current hard drive is 750 GB and I have used about 500 GB of it.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

If you look at your current hard drive using a utility such as Tree Size, Folder Size or similar you will probably be surprised by what you see.

I would be shocked if much more than 100 GB or so were used by the OS and all programs you have installed.

I have a laptop, recently purchased, with a 2 TB HDD on to which I transferred everything I've been carrying with me for years from another machine, including a large Music library and Photos library, and I'm just under 500 GB in total.

My Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders are 11.5 GB, Program Data is 16.6 GB, and Windows is 23 GB for Windows 10, Version 1803 Home.  The grand total is right around 50 GB.

I used Folder Size to scan to get these figures.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

The wife's laptop, an Acer Predator (7700HQ, GTX1060M), came with a 250 GB SSD and  a 1 TB spinner, so many do indeed have space for both...but, it will be an option to get both if it comes with 2 drive bays....

(Pretty impressively darn zippy for a laptop, btw)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users