Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sec25

sec25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:23 AM

Hi. clear.png

I could really use your help..

I'm trying to make sure I have a clean connection.(a clean eth) and I need to get it done really soon.

I have a new laptop and a new router.
My Q is:

If I don;t have a different network and share a router with someone at home, is there anyway of making the shared router and my laptop secure from other devices also using said router?

A guest option could be a solution? I have read sth about giving a different wifi pass to guests(or my brother clear.png) than the one you use. Can this possibly work for a connection via cable to the router also(for devices that aren;t mine and could possibly be infected), not just wifi? To make a guest option on my router for both wifi and cable connection to router from devices I don;t personally use. By this guest option I would separate myself from other devices I dont use(brother;s etc)?

If not possible, can I have two routers on the same network(same IP address?) And would that work to keep my router and laptop secure or does sharing the same network impose a security risk anyways?

Also, someone mentioned I should use a VPN.. would this solve the issue of sharing a router with other devices that are possibly infected and could infect me? 
I think it would make sure I have a clean network as someone could still have tampered with my connection somehow, even if I change router and laptop, but for the router itself and my new PC's security, would it cover me completely?

I really need to get this done. Speedy and complete answers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 May 2018 - 03:36 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Networking'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

most new router have the main connection and then a Guest connection, both these are separate and you have some extra control over the guest connection.  setup the router for yourself then enable the guest connection for everyone else that uses it.  your connection will have priority if bandwidth is being used by the guest connection.

#3 sec25

sec25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

Ty!

Does this mean that even if someone connects to the shared router via cable, the guest option is still enabled? Not just wifi?

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

Your confusing the point......there are 2 principle ways to connect to an access point/gateway, either through the air (wifi), or through a cable (ethernet).

Either doesnt matter......if your all connected to the same AP, your all on the same network, and can communicate with each other (for good or evil).

As suggested above, most modern routers (AP's) have the ability to provide a guest network (subnet) for which guests can connect to and share your internet access.

Remember, they are on a subnetwork, seperate from your principle network, so they cant interfere with anything connected to principle, or access directories on it. 

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users