Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD not an option in boot menu f9...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Innotime2

Innotime2

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

Hello, So it's strange. First of all everything works fine. No issues. I just replaced a hard drive in my HP Envy 15 Laptop. I was able to install W8, all udpates installed, everything works perfect. I just don't see the hdd as an option when I hit f9 when booting. Just load efi file or something and OS boot manager I believe.

I ran chkdsk and it's fine, I even ran hdd check from system diag. in BIOS, so obviously the bios is actually reading the drive it's just not listed in boot menu options.

Is this normal for W8.1 or something? TY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

Boot from EFI is for diagnostics.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443326

If you highlight Boot Manager and then Enter do you see your hard drive? As long as you can see your hard drive in your UEFI settings and your computer boots fine I wouldn't worry about the hard drive not showing under boot options. You should see your CD/DVD drive or USB flash drive if it's bootable.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 May 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#3 Innotime2

Innotime2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

ok, then yeah not really going to worry about it. Yes I can see a usb drive under boot menu, just not the hdd. But as I said it actually runs perfect, i just installed windows on it and the windows usb obviously seen the drive since it worked no problem. So not even going to worry about it I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users