Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Yoga 500 No Backlight on Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boblettoj99

boblettoj99

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Hi there, my laptop works fine when the charger is plugged in but when it is taken out the backlight of the monitor goes off.
Everything is still running and I see the results of mouse clicks when I plug the charger back in but can only just make out the display when unplugged.
I'm dual booting with fedora/windows 10 and the problem persists across both OSs.

I have looked everywhere for a solution to this as I'd love to be able to work outside!
Unfortunately my warranty is long gone so no hope with Lenovo.

I've changed all the Windows power settings as suggested on numerous websites but this has no effect (as expected if the same issue happens in linux).

I've taken the thing apart and re-seated everything that could have have an effect. 

Bios on this machine is very limited and have tried switching any and all settings that sound like they might have an effect.

So my question is, is this it? Can you think of anything else I can try?

It would be super useful if somebody knew where I could find a diagram of the motherboard, and at which point the power supply from battery and from mains become one! At least then I could narrow down the problem a bit!

Edited by hamluis, 07 May 2018 - 12:35 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Google.

Louis

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Virtually all of the newer laptops have two brightness settings; one for on AC, the other for battery.  They also generally have keys on the keyboard that look like suns so you can adjust the brightness.  Find those keys, verify they work on AC power, unplug the adapter, and try using the key that makes it brighter.  Most of the BIOS' will remember where you set it so it should be somewhat permanent.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 boblettoj99

boblettoj99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

Virtually all of the newer laptops have two brightness settings; one for on AC, the other for battery.  They also generally have keys on the keyboard that look like suns so you can adjust the brightness.  Find those keys, verify they work on AC power, unplug the adapter, and try using the key that makes it brighter.  Most of the BIOS' will remember where you set it so it should be somewhat permanent.

Thanks, I have tried this already and the brightness does not improve when unplugged but functions perfectly when plugged in. There is also a function key to toggle the backlight, which works when plugged in but not when unplugged. There must be something stopping the power getting to the screen back light when fed from battery. 

Google.

Louis

Yes have looked at this already, it's useful for re-seating the parts but no in depth diagrams.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

I need the full Lenovo model number or product code as there are multiple models of Yoga 500?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:20 PM

Check your power options, set them to high performance see if the problem still exists.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users