Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung 860 EVO 4TB SSD no longer being recognized by laptop after updating BIOS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wiivile

wiivile

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

I had a Samsung 860 EVO 4TB SSD installed in my HP EliteBook 820 G4 on the SATA port. It was running Windows 10 flawlessly for 3 months until I updated the BIOS last night and the BIOS no longer recognizes the SSD. I tried rolling back the BIOS to the previous version but it still won't recognize the drive. I took the drive out and put it into an another older HP EliteBook and that computer doesn't recognize it either. Any ideas why my SSD isn't being recognized anymore?

A spare 500gb HDD I had is recognized by both laptops.

After running the hardware diagnostics via the BIOS, this is what it says when the drive is installed: https://i.imgur.com/nxgbjza.jpg

This is what the hard drive diagnostics says when the drive is NOT installed:
https://i.imgur.com/2MYBmbH.jpg

Obviously the drive IS being detected because the diagnostic is giving two different results when it is connected and not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

Do you have a USB adapter you can attach to the SSD? That would be my next step if for some reason the HP cannot detect the drive in BIOS. Hopefully the drive is not dead or at least is in warranty.

#3 wiivile

wiivile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

Do you have a USB adapter you can attach to the SSD? That would be my next step if for some reason the HP cannot detect the drive in BIOS. Hopefully the drive is not dead or at least is in warranty.

I can't imagine that the drive would die from updating the BIOS. I imagine that power cycling relating to the BIOS update caused something to happen with the drive controller and the SSD needs to be power cycled. I will try a USB enclosure, but I would rather find a way to power cycle the SSD without relying on a USB connection...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

When you updated the BIOS did you reset settings back to default? By powercycle you removed the power adapter and held the power button down for 30 seconds, correct? On a laptop I also remove the battery but on an elitebook that would be a problem as the battery is not easily removable.

#5 wiivile

wiivile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

When you updated the BIOS did you reset settings back to default? By powercycle you removed the power adapter and held the power button down for 30 seconds, correct? On a laptop I also remove the battery but on an elitebook that would be a problem as the battery is not easily removable.

Yep I have done all that including removing the battery.

Edited by wiivile, 07 May 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#6 AcuTech

AcuTech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

I would check your boot options in the BIOS, try turning secure boot off, legacy mode, etc. Try one option at a time (put it back the way it was before trying another option) 

I've seen some people mention that their Samsung laptop has an option to "Add Boot Device" in the EFI setting that will allow you to add your SSD back into the boot options.

Edited by AcuTech, 07 May 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#7 wiivile

wiivile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

I would check your boot options in the BIOS, try turning secure boot off, legacy mode, etc. Try one option at a time (put it back the way it was before trying another option) 

I've seen some people mention that their Samsung laptop has an option to "Add Boot Device" in the EFI setting that will allow you to add your SSD back into the boot options.

Yeah, I've tried all of that. I need to try hooking it up to a USB enclosure to see if it works externally. If that doesn't work, it's probably dead (which means I just wasted $1400 on a 4tb ssd that failed after 3 months).

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Samsung has a 5 year warranty on the drive.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty/

#9 wiivile

wiivile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Samsung has a 5 year warranty on the drive.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty/

I'd sooner take it back to the store or dispute it on my credit card if they won't return/exchange it. $1400 state of the art drives aren't supposed to fail after 3 months. Ridiculous.

Edited by wiivile, 07 May 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Curious what was the reason to update your bios?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Let's see if the SSD still shows in boot device priority, etc., and not so much as giving an expected output on the 'diagnostic/SMART data' reading section, as many SSDs do not give such data to such programs designed primarily for spinning drives....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users