Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spam infesting my email and I need to stop it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kc8pcl

kc8pcl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

Hi,

I am running a dell optiplex 780 with windows 7 pro, I am running yahoo mail and it looks as though my son has been to dating sites and now my spam folder has at least 20 to 30 emails in there daily. I have tried to go to each one and un subscribe but it seems the more I do that even more show up, I know that I could delete my yahoo mail but if I could keep it and get all these spams to stop, that would be better. Can anyone help me here ?

Edited by hamluis, 07 May 2018 - 09:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

You can do one of three things:

> Keep flagging each spam that you get in the inbox and eventually it will lessen. But....your email address is now being circulated and there isn't anything you can do.

> Open a new email account and start using that. This time do not make it available to anyone else.

> Move to Gmail and open an account. I don't trust any email provider that suffered two major hack attacks and lost millions of email addresses.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 May 2018 - 08:34 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,999 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

I am running a dell optiplex 780 with windows 7 pro, I am running yahoo mail and it looks as though my son has been to dating sites and now my spam folder has at least 20 to 30 emails in there daily. I have tried to go to each one and un subscribe but it seems the more I do that even more show up, I know that I could delete my yahoo mail but if I could keep it and get all these spams to stop, that would be better. Can anyone help me here ?

20 to 30 spam messages daily is a drop in the ocean for any e-mail address that's been in existence for any period of time.  The fact that they're already flagged as spam and sent to the folder for that express purpose makes them a non-problem, as far as I'm concerned.  If you need to double check that something not spam has not been incorrectly classified as such then a once a day check, and emptying the spam folder, is all that's necessary.

You have now learned the lesson that "unsubscribing" from spam is something you never want to do.  The whole idea of an unsubscribe link in spam is to allow the spammer to confirm that the e-mail address exists and that someone is monitoring it.  They then know they've harvested an address they can resell.  Anything that is sorted to the spam folder that is spam should not really be touched, beyond opening it if you even wish to do that.  I just let them get deleted by aging off but will occasionally open the folder, select all, and delete now.

You are never going to get all spam to stop unless you switch e-mail addresses with great frequency, and who wants to do that?   Spam filtering, mostly via Bayesian filtering methods, has been raised to an art form and most major e-mail service providers are constantly updating their filters based on what subscribers flag as spam that might have slipped through the existing filters.  That's the whole purpose of spam filtering and the spam folder.  One never "gets rid of" spam in the literal sense one just has it relegated to a folder where, is one so chooses, one need never deal with it and it gets purged from on a cyclic basis.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 kc8pcl

kc8pcl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

Thank you guy's for responding to my problem. I guess that I will close my yahoo email account and open a gmail one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users