Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:36 AM

Trying to secure my new router from time warner I managed to lock myself out by disabling remote access through the browser. Is there any way to access the router without a hard reset. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

You only disabled remote access to the AP. (WAN)

Sounds like you have physical access to the AP so If your on the same LAN, just enter the local area IP in the browser to access the AP interface.

If your router is 192.168.0.1, your device should have an IP in this range.......just run an 'ipconfig' command in windows power shell to confirm your ipv4 addy.

(Im assuming your on Windows?)

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 Adams369

Adams369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

Not exactly the case, Within the router settings I disabled two switches that had to do with remote access. And now I can't get into the web interface and neither can my ISP. But on a better note a phone app can at least see what's going on so maybe It's better to be so secure. I figure unless I really need to, the way it is is fine for now. 

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

A hard reset may be required at least to just start again and setup from scratch.

Albeit i dont think any adjustments made on the Router or any configuration would lock you out of accessing the Router.

Enter the IP of the router in a WebBrowser and you should have access with what ever Username you chose and Password.

If you dont have access ? is it a Password Error ?

Then just reset and ReConfigure........10min of your time.

Of the top of my head , the Remote Control you are talking about within the Router is for the Manufacturer to access the Router and apply any Updates , i remember on setups of my own , i unchecked this also if enabled.

Some more info from -  https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/05/the-most-important-security-settings-to-change-on-your-router/

EG: On many routers this is already turned off by default, but, just in case, check that remote administration (also known as remote management or enable web access from WAN) is disabled. Remote administration gives access to your router's control panel from outside your home network -- so you can see why that would be a problem. Again, this setting is probably under your advanced or administration section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users