Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Rename PC's on Windows 2012 Server Domain


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aftershock422

aftershock422

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

I have a few computers in a Windows Server 2012 domain environment. I cannot rename the PC's I get the following error: 

"The network path was not found" 

 

It works on 20% of the computers but not the other 80%.

 

I'm logged in as an administrator and the odd part is it prompts me for credentials (on the PC's it does NOT work on) The other PC's it does work on it does NOT prompt me for credentials. I didn't try taking the PC's off the domain then renaming and adding back to domain. I would like to try and find a way to rename them without going off the domain / signing in locally and then renaming. Any ideas?

 

PC OS = Windows 10 Professional 

Server OS = Windows Server 2012 Essentials 

 

Screenshots attached thanks in advance!

Attached Files


Edited by aftershock422, 06 May 2018 - 10:31 PM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

  • Members
  • 278 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bulgaria
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

Leave the domain, reboot and re-join the domain.
If you still struggle re-create the user profile on the pc you having issues with :) 



#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

  • BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

Also, double-check your network settings to make sure those PC's can communicate with a domain controller.



#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Try adding the DNS of your domain controller manually to the network adapter on the workstation that can't be renamed and try doing it again. See if it works.


Edited by MasterNe0, 20 June 2018 - 12:04 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users