Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Food Thatís Bizarre or Perhaps Not from Betty Cís Book

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

When reading in NickAu’s “Fish Lovers Show us your tank." forum, I noticed that last post was from r.a.d. and my eyes opened wide...what....Escargot  Ok r.a.d. you started it, let’s go! 

After reading that r.a.d. would like to try Escargot (snails) for fun my mind went into tease mode to remember what I have eaten which I never thought I would. Some I liked and then there were those...

Frog leg: yes (tasted like chicken)

Cricket: yes (which was dry roasted with cheddar and bacon seasoning)

Herring: no (when in Holland yuck!)

Paling: no (smoked eel) yuck!

Giselle: no (too gamey)

Venison: no (too gamey)

Lamb: yes (I must be from OZ)

Chicken gizzards and hearts: yes

Beef Liver: yes 

Poi (Tara plant): no 

Catfish: no (tasted like dirt)

Tilapia: no (tasted like dirt)

Raw oysters, scallops, mussels, clams: yes

Wheat grass: yes (heck, when it’s in a blender full of other yummy fruits and juice, not bad)

Fillet: YES (let me die and go to heaven, rare and cooked in butter!)

Nope I will never: Escargot, snake, eye ball, tripe, tongue, innards, grubs, roaches, feet, spiders, ants and I’ll not shop from Andrew Zimmern’s thumbs up list!

What about you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

Frog leg: yes (tasted like chicken)

Cricket: yes (which was dry roasted with cheddar and bacon seasoning)

Herring: no (when in Holland yuck!)

Paling: no (smoked eel) yuck!

Giselle: no (too gamey)

Venison: no (too gamey)

Chicken gizzards and hearts: yes

Poi (Tara plant): no 

Raw oysters, scallops, mussels, clams: yes

Nope I will never: Escargot, snake, eye ball, tripe, tongue, innards, grubs, roaches, feet, spiders, ants and I’ll not shop from Andrew Zimmern’s thumbs up list!

What about you?

Hell No talk about gag a maggot and disgusting chunky vomit. 

That's the kind of food hillbillies eat because they don't know any better. 

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

We've had escargot quite a few times, my first was with a girlfriend who ordered it and suggest I swallow it like a raw oyster. Heck with that, I shook off the butter/garlic and savored it.

Have had huitlacoche (aka: corn smut/corn mold/Mexican truffle) crepes with a green Pablano cream sauce in Acapulco a few times, delicious. The recipe usually is made with squash blossoms and a pinch of epazote leaves.
Also had baby eels on crackers there, so-so, more novelty.

Don't like beef tripe, never had brain but have tried tongue. One thing I'll never try are Rocky Mountain oysters.

Venison's good, elk steak is absolutely delicious. Bear would probably be too gamey.
Chicken (or turkey) gizzards, so-so, but do like to fry the heart in butter.

Any shellfish, anytime. Our community restaurant also makes a great fried calamari (squid) served with a hot, red chili sauce.
Tried octopus somewhere once at a restaurant.
Another girlfriend ordered a whole Maine lobster at a beachside restaurant and also extracted some green stuff. I tasted it, didn't like it.

Used to pick fiddleheads (baby ferns) in the Sierras, goes great with fresh-caught brook trout. Also have carved off willow bark to chew on for, uh... mountain-morning hangovers. Works as good as aspirin.

Have had cactus, not much flavor.

In '65 halfway down the Florida keys I had breaded/fried sea turtle steak (no doubt illegal today) at a small Cuban place that was heaven, with yellow saffron rice and key lime pie. They had the huge turtles swimming around in a pen out back.

Love sushi, and particularly those with Tobiko (little orange flying fish roe). Once had some with a raw quail egg, more for novelty/show off for a date.

Used to love the Tiny Tots sardines in olive oil on saltine crackers. Almost bought some yesterday at the store. Next time will for nostalgia & see if they're just as good as remembered. 
Anchovies on a pizza? Forget it!

Anyone eat the little grub worm from a bottle of Mescal? Between Rosarita and Ensenada is a place called La Fonda's where the owners son invited us to their back office. He pulled out a 5 gallon glass jug of Indian-made blue agave tequila that had a full-grown Diamondback rattlesnake at the bottom. Smooth as silk and tasty, even with the snake scales floating in the shooters.
He then pulled out a gallon jug of tequila with plant life inside (probably peyote buttons, jimson weed, datura root)... who knows? I took a sip and my wife had a shooter. She got a major buzz. :)

So there you have it, at least what I remember.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

Normal food for normal people.

o.jpg

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Yep, steak's great anytime, even carpacchio for normal adventurous folks. :)

11393417.jpg

#6 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

@ The-Toolman  :hysterical: I do have some “human” living in this body as I’d give anything for that steak! Delivery please.

@ r.a.d I must say that you must be a blast to travel with by reading your list of “interesting” bites! And....OMG...did we perhaps bump into one another at La Fondas! We used to call it La Fondle and I’m sure you know why and BTW, we were never invited to the back office and it’s a good thing as I would not have fared well with the offerings! Since 9/11 I have not gone back down to Baja, I’d love to return to Puerto Nuevo to indulge in the lobster, beans and those incredible handmade tortillas! Ah, the good ol’ days. Have you traveled back to those parts?

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Don't get me wrong folks I like fish also, I like the regular everyday catch at the lake fish.

I've never acquired a taste for exotic fish or seafood.  :nono:

[softeyes post #6]

@ The-Toolman   :hysterical: I do have some “human” living in this body as I’d give anything for that steak! Delivery please.

You made my day.  :wink:

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 May 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

Hi softeyes, it's been awhile, I don't even know if Dmytriw and Sara still are the owners (son's name was Brad), but did hear some time ago they had to move the restaurant from that ocean-view patio.
Many a fun time there for us, the only downside having to drive back through Tijuana to get home. 
Used to walk the beach (after a few Margaritas) and find tiny sand dollars smaller than a dime. :)

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

@ r.a.d.....good news, I just called and it still there! http://www.garyslafondabaja.com/contact-us

(Although we have lots of pals who still enjoy Baja and have no issues, I'll hold off for now.)

BC has so many retired military members who might have traveled the world, as well as so many members from all over the world, I sure wish that they would post about their food experiences. What might be bizarre for us could be daily fare for them! 

#10 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Lol! Great minds think alike, I also did a search:

http://www.garyslafondabaja.com/

#11 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Re: softeye's comment:
"BC has so many retired military members who might have traveled the world, as well as so many members from all over the world, I sure wish that they would post about their food experiences. What might be bizarre for us could be daily fare for them!"

Ditto, hence my 'bump' to attract. Any bites (pun intended)?

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

The only thing on that list I've eaten is lamb, pretty often. It's not that I necessarily wouldn't eat some of those things, but I've certainly never felt the need to try, and you don't see that many of them on sale often either round here (UK).

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

Link with pictures and descriptions about the list of delicacies below from the UK~

http://britainexplorer.com/ten-strange-british-foods/

@rp88 ~ Jump for joy, I have found a shopping list for you to use at ASDA!!! Erm... I’m not sure I'll trade a cricket for one of these!  :crazy: 

1. Spotted Dick ( :lmao: )

2. Toad in the Hole (?)

3. Haggis (Oh dear!)

4. Black Pudding 

5. Periwinkles 

6. Bubble & Squeak

7. Laver Bread (?)

8. (This word was censored.....guess you'll have to read the website!)

9. Scotch Eggs (A bit of scotch never hurts)

10. Welsh Rabbit (Rarebit) 

If you have the time, check out the website where you will find fun pictures and full descriptions of the treats above! What fun.

@rp88..Do you have any favorites in the list?

Self edit...#9 food description was "bleeped" :-)

Edited by softeyes, 10 May 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

(to softeyes) there's some stuff on that British site I wouldn't have the courage to try, and (to rp88) a good friend of ours, actually a retired London police detective flew over with her daughter and stayed a week with us awhile back where we treated them to several restaurants (and some of my cooking) so they could try new things. They thoroughly enjoyed many new tastes with their only misgivings being a fear of perhaps having put on some extra weight. :)

I've made a promise to Condobloke in another thread to try their Aussie Vegemite if I run across some. He suggested on toast, but may spread some on water crackers instead, perhaps with Brie to soften the blow. 

Some phrases that can give pause: 'it's a delicacy' or 'it's an acquired taste'. If it doesn't taste great from the get go, why try to acquire a taste for a delicacy? Consider most any kid's first taste of pizza, they love it!

Something I've never tried and surely won't, sea urchin-

Urchin-Risotte.jpg

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

While those british dishes mostly exist, they aren't all that common, some fans might eat them a few times a month, most people don't eat them. They also aren't all that strange, toad in the hole just means sausages submerged in yorkshire pudding pastry. Spotted dick is not the male member of any animal, just a kind of currant and fruit pastry/cake.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users