Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dump xp pro and install wndows 7? isiyt possible

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 snipers

snipers

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

i pretty  much  stated what i weanted in the  title, i  have had tomuch  trouble with xp in the  dell inspiron, i want to get rid of it   (the OS)  but keep the laptop. i know thee is a f  dick command or was a longtime ago?

can  anyoine give me a step by step methond of   formattung the hard  drive on expiron laptop  5 years old.

and then finding a windows 7  OS  to install.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:12 AM

When you load another OS, it will automatically erase the existing xp install for you.

I cannot help you with a win 7 download, but I would expect it will cost you $ when you do find it.

if you use your pc for youtube, email,banking, facebook, messenger, skype, searching...google etc, playing music, storing photos, downloading info, music, movies ....blah blah.....

Take a look at Linux. Interested?....post the specs of your pc in the Linux area and someone there will take a look for you to make sure it will run ok...

The best thing about Linux......its FREE.

How to find specs

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Worth A Read.

Louis

#4 snipers

snipers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

thank you ill do that. how  aboutrt  formatting  drive to get rid of pro xp? david

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

You should have that option shen you run the Windows install package...no need to do it before then.

Louis

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:28 PM

There is no free upgrade path from XP to Windows 7 so you will have to buy a Windows 7 and it has not been on retailers shelves for almost 5 years so you will need to purchase it online from some place like Amazon, Newegg, etc.

In addition to the Windows Upgrade Advisor you will need to check with Dell to see if they have Windows 7 drivers for your system.  You might be able to tell that on their Support site by entering your Service Tag number and checking the available drivers section and/or ask in Dell community if you are not sure.

Finding a copy of Windows 7 to install is not a problem - the problem will be activating it (making the installation legitimate) and for that you will need a 25 character Product Key that comes with the software you need to purchase.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 snipers

snipers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:03 AM

thamks tp both pf you/. i am not new t o this knfd of action , but i will talk to dell about  drivers thank you  david

#8 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

That Inspiron will probably install Windows 7 just fine (if you have a licence).   There may be some specific drivers missing (ie: for a card reader) but everything else may still work.   Using the Dell service tag or express service tag is the quickest way to find out if Windows 7 is officially supported on that computer :)  .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#9 snipers

snipers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

thank you   im thinking nowabout linux

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

THIS   makes a good read. No bs

When you wish to grab a blank usb stick , write an iso to it and take linux for a spin....start a fresh topic HERE

I am not sure of your specs...ram etc etc.....the more than helpful people over there will rave on and give you a pretty good what your particular specs will handle.

my advice ?...keep it simple.

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2018 - 09:48 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#11 snipers

snipers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

thank you i havea  stick  now

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

start a fresh topic HERE 

That will put you in the Linux area, (instead of the windows xp area which you are in now)

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Win 7 is quite cheap up on Ebay, very little learning curve.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

If you're looking for an alternative to Windows XP with a very little learning curve, I suggest Chrome OS. It's a very secure OS that even grandpa and the kids can use.

#15 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

good afternoon my friends,

since i still use windows xp for many years please let me tell you some things

personally, i didn't have major problems with my windows xp pro x32

maybe your problems is because of the low ram capacity you may have (lower than four gb), your hard disk have low free space (15 gb of free disk space is recommended), outdated drivers and too much fragment files on your hard disk

your five years old laptop (no specs is supplied) may ''not that bad'' and it can still run windows at a decent speed

installing windows xp is not that difficult as you may thing (if you have the installation disc)

windows 7 installation

you can buy through ebay cheap legal copies of windows 7

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwindows+7+legal+copy.TRS0&_nkw=windows+7+legal+copy&_sacat=0

linux is a good os but... is not that easy as windows

think about to upgrade your hard disk for a cheap 120 ssd (forty euros) and/or put some extra ram

good luck my friend

Edited by nickos, 13 May 2018 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users