Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

20+Second delay on restart; 3 Minute delay on fresh boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rwayeng

rwayeng

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:28 PM

I have an Acer laptop that I recently replaced the HDD with a Western Digital 2.5" SSD and now it experiences a 20+ second delay on restarts between powering on and the Acer splash screen, and a 3+ minute delay when powering up from a complete shutdown.  I have done all Windows updates available and nothing seems to help.  I have also restored Windows completely from scratch, all to no avail.\

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next?

Regards,

Cory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pantera2049

pantera2049

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:36 AM

hi!

check task manager >start up tub . Are there many apps that start with your windows pc?

if you find that are apps that start with windows - disable all of you don't need one by one. try to research when you are in doubt.

Please provide a spaccy log of your windows pc.

Please tell us your result.

#3 rwayeng

rwayeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

Hello,

All tasks on the Startup tab have been disabled and there is no change in the startup behavior.  Once the Acer splash screen comes up and the Windows splash screen starts, the computer is quite responsive.  The issue is between power on and the appearance of the Acer splash screen where there is a large delay, up to several minutes.

I suspect there is an issue related to the swap of the HDD for the SSD and potentially an issue with the EFI partition but that is beyond my capabilities.

I have attached the Speccy log created after boot with no tasks enabled.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Cory

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

I know you said you have a WD SSD, but I wonder if something similar applies:  https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-update-intel-ssd,37020.html

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 pantera2049

pantera2049

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

hi!

Sorry but my browser not show me the log.  Try to send me the log , please. In other words a hdd suck more power than a ssd... in general.

There are some other factors that impact the boot time. In event  viewer you can get some info about it.

I need much more info to manage it.  there is a dusty place? the machine behaviors the same on battery and with charger connected?

the windows version is?  laptop model is? ...  thanks  for you patience. 

:)

#6 rwayeng

rwayeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hello, I haven't had allot of time to do much testing and logging lately, but I swapped out the SSD with a HDD from another computer with similar specs and the problem persisted.  So given that it occurs with two different hard drives and two completely different Windows installations it has to be related to hardware on this unit, or potentially the UEFI on the motherboard.  I will likely have to take the unit to a repair shop for further troubleshooting.

Thanks all for your help.\

Cory

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

I swapped out the SSD with a HDD from another computer with similar specs

Taking a hdd with Windows 10 already installed on it and moving it to another computer (motherboard) can cause the operating system to fail.  One of the last aspects of installing a Windows operating system involves Windows doing a search for the drivers needed to start and run the operating system.  The drivers are for motherboard components which usually would be different than those in another motherboard.  The only ways around this is to either do a fresh installation of the operating system or generalize the drive so that when it is installed with another motherboard it can search for the proper drivers.  To generalize a ssd/hdd you need to do the following.  This should not effect your personal data or installed application.

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifing glass)in the Taskbar and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

Because of this, there is a good possibility that the operating will continue to fail and require a fresh installation.  This usually will result in a damaged operating system, but I've see the once in a blue moon time when it actually was able to boot and continue properly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

Replace back the SSD disk and take a boot trace so that we can see exactly what the system is doing during the different boot phases:

1. Open a command line as an Administrator (Run As Administrator)
  2. Type the following command in the command line Windows: cd %programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit
  3. Type the following command to start recording the boot trace: wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -onoffscenario Boot -onoffresultspath c:\wpr -numiterations 1
  4. Compress the .ETL file generated under the C:\WPR path (very important)
  5. Upload the boot trace file on Dropbox or on https://www.transfernow.net/en/

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you…

#9 rwayeng

rwayeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

Hello, I have uploaded the compressed log folder for you and uploaded it to the Dropbox link below.

This was done after a complete restore of the OS on the SSD.  The delay from power on until the ACER splash screen is persistent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/in1jdh4qnwvrw7o/wpr.zip?dl=0

I have also recently tried to update the Bios on this machine with the Acer supplied updates but every version fails to upload on the machine.  I suspect there is an issue with the mother board, or the bios is somehow corrupted.\

Cory

#10 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

Hi,

Sorry I forget to add a parameter in the command! The trace generated is not relevant. please run this command instead in step 3:

wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -onoffscenario Boot -onoffresultspath c:\wpr -numiterations 1

#11 rwayeng

rwayeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

Hi, when I try to run with the -start GeneralProfile parameter it fails with this error:

The Logging Mode does not match with the profile passed.

Error code: 0xc5584017

That is why I removed that parameter to get the trace to run.  Can I run it with my profile listed?

#12 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:22 AM

Hi, when I try to run with the -start GeneralProfile parameter it fails with this error:

The Logging Mode does not match with the profile passed.

Error code: 0xc5584017

That is why I removed that parameter to get the trace to run.  Can I run it with my profile listed?

you should add "-filemode" parameter at the end of the command.

If it wont work, you can download and run the GUI version:

1. Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
  2. When running the setup select only Windows Performance Toolkit.
  3. Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options:https://justpaste.it/1g4sx
  4. Compress the resulting file.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

Please run the System Maintenance and Performance Troubleshooters

Please do the following.  You will need to run this as an administrator.

1. Run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and Paste the following in the Run box, then press Enter.

msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic

In the page that opens click Next and follow the prompts to complete troubleshooter.

2. Run the System Performance Troubleshooter.

This will need to be run from the Elevated Command Prompt as an administrator.

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic.

Post the results of these two troubleshooting techniques.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 rwayeng

rwayeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Final update... my failed Bios update attempts appear to have been due to not running the Windows Bios update .exe as an administrator.  Unfortunately none of the errors that appeared during the failed attempts indicated that was the issue.  Bios has been updated to the latest version and boot time is really good now.

Thanks all for your attempts to help on this.

Cory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users