Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help me control my fans

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gEMx

gEMx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

my pc is overheating because i have no way to manually control my fans, specifically the gpu gets too hot. the cpu is fine, maybe a bit warm.

i have many fans in my case and they are sufficient for cooling if only i could up the rpms. i used to be able to do this using ccc but the new bs version of that program doesnt work.

i have tried using apps like speedfan but they are garbage.

i have msi mobo and amd card. i used programs from both these junk companies and they dont do squat

Edited by gEMx, 06 May 2018 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Define, and clearly, "overheating."  What is your CPU and what is your GPU and what temperatures are you seeing for each, respectively, and when doing what?

Unless your system is misbehaving in some way it is not likely overheating.

If your system is relatively clean and dust free inside it should be able to regulate fan speed as needed without any additional intervention.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

And cleaning the dust out of your display card can be somewhat counterintuitive in that you want to blow INWARD through the vents the card uses for exhaust.  It's often smartest to take the card out of the PC to do it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 gEMx

gEMx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

the cpu is pushing 50 and the gpu is over 90c. its definitely overheating my gpu. graphics become sluggish and fps drops. occasionally my pc shuts off and will not restart until it cools down, giving me beep warnings if booted up too early.

i think the problem is the fans are all at like 27% and if i could manually boost the rpms my problem would go away. it would be hella noisy but i could live with that

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Unless you bought a Chinese (QC OK, we used to say) knock off video card, the cooling built into it is more than adequate; but, the cooling fins which you can't even see slowly turn into a piece of felt and nothing short of a hurricane can keep it cool.  I had one GPU, a few months ago, where the heatsink and cooling assembly was a solid blob of dirt.  Giving it a thorough cleaning brought its temps down by 50 degrees celsius.

#6 gEMx

gEMx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

i cleaned my entire pc. its currently dust free. it wasnt very dusty and this problem was not fixed by it

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

That GPU is either still quite dirty or the heatsink compound has failed which often happens in shipping or any kind of bump.  What is the lowest temp you see on the GPU and, BTW, what is it's make and model?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

It would be very helpful if gEMx were to publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in their next reply.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 gEMx

gEMx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

nah its clean, spic n span. the card is working fine, heatsink included. its a 280x i believe, runs fine when not gaming. gets hot af when i play , even on very meager settings

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LmMfQez2xiOdzM4rkEGoi4Q

Edited by gEMx, 07 May 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

Speccy shows the GPU at 45c.  What makes it climb to over 90?

If you have overclocked it, what temps do you get if you revert to a non-overclocked speed?

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

FWIW this works on my AMD card to manually set the fan speed, with the latest version of the Radeon driver.

Open Radeon Settings

Click "Gaming" button at the top

Select "Global Settings"

Select "Global Overdrive" tab

In Fan Speed, if it is currently set to auto, click the slider button to change it so it says On instead of Off. 

Slide the fan speed slider up to 100%, or what you'd prefer.

Click Apply (at top of screen)

In my case, you can see below that it increases the speed.  Note, my fan speeds are much lower than you'll see with a stock radial blower as I am using an aftermarket heat sink and 120mm fan.

Before (Fan set to Auto)

fxdkZFv.jpg

After (Fan set to Manual - 100% Duty)

s2qhmZQ.jpg

Edited by jonuk76, 08 May 2018 - 09:11 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 gEMx

gEMx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

i used that program and it says i have 2 fans plus a cpu fan. but i have more than that. i dont know why it cant read my other fans. the two i have are running at 9500 and 2500 rpm respectively according to that program, both at 100%. its gaming that makes it run hot as i said but my graphics card should handle it plus the settings are very reasonable.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

"runs fine when not gaming. gets hot af when i play , even on very meager settings"

which is a perfect indicator of either dirty cooling fins (which may not be visible without disassembly) or that the heatsink compound has fractured and is not transferring the heat away from the GPU properly.  There is a much rarer possibility that the GPU chip itself is failing which turns it into toast needing replacement.

Case fan connectors, controls, and the chips used are completely manufacturer and model specific so most generic fan utilities won't know about extra fans in the case.  The only utility that might be accurate would come from the support page for your system board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users