Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10, won't boot, won't enter safe mode, won't boot log?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 this-is-it

this-is-it

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

I left my computer for a bit and come back to find it in the recovery environment.

I tried the automatic repair options, startup repair, no change. I used the console to do sfc check, it did fix some files, but still no booting.

In the recovery environment, I tried to enter safe mode using the start up settings, I get the menu, it restarts but crashes before getting to the safe mode.

I tried to enable boot logging, but the ntblog.txt has not changed.

I don't have a restore point.

BCD looks good, but I did a rebuild, just in case.

Used DISM, /restoreHealth, nothing changed, still no boot.

Hardware all looks good. I swapped the graphics card, unplugged all usb devices, just to be sure, nothing helped. 

Finally I installed another Win 10 installation on another drive, all hardware, drives and filesystems are good.

I would like to get a sense of where it is failing, preferably boot into safe mode, or failing any options, try an inplace upgrade, but AFAIK, it has to be started from the OS.

Any ideas what to try next?

CPU: i7 3970x MB: Gigabyte x79 ud5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

Are you attempting to save the install because of data on the drive or programs already installed?

Sometimes rebuilding the BCD using bootrec does not do a complete repair. 

See this page. What you need to do is assign a drive letter to your EFI partition using diskpart. You should see a volume formated FAT32. After assigning a drive letter use the bcdboot command. If you can get to the Recovery Environment use the Command Prompt. According to your MB specs you have UEFI firmware.

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

S: would be the letter assigned to your EFI partition. In command prompt you may not get C: for your Windows partition. You can find the letter assigned to Windows using this command prompt.

Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice"

If you need data off the drive you can use Lazesoft Recovery Suite Free. It also has some additional repair options and a file manager to recover data to a USB flash drive.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

#3 this-is-it

this-is-it
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:13 AM

​

Are you attempting to save the install because of data on the drive or programs already installed?

Sometimes rebuilding the BCD using bootrec does not do a complete repair. 

Hi!

I want to save the install as it's my work workstation and it will take me too much time to set up again.

I can access the drive without problem and have already made an image so I can have a go at repairing it.

I'll take a look at the BCD again, but it seem to me that it always correctly found the drive (I have multiple drives, so letters sometime change).

What other methods of debugging the windows installation do you recommend?

I now have a full Windows 10 install on another drive, so it is easier work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

You have done pretty much all the things I can think of using DISM and sfc. The bcdboot command was the only thing I was going to add. 

There are DISM commands that use a Windows image file that may repair the install if you have not done that.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Did you have any Restore Points?

I'm not sure the following will work but if it's registry corruption and you have no restore points see the below post. The idea is to replace the Registry Hives in Regback to the config folder if they are not zero bytes and have a date before the problem.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/674092/how-to-fix-inaccessible-boot-device-error/?p=4470647

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 May 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#5 this-is-it

this-is-it
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

Tried the registry from the regback folder, no change.

I ran dism with a fresh install source, no errors found. dism /image:n:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:o:\sources\install.esd

I'm out of ideas.

If only I could get some logs, I'd have an idea what to troubleshoot. Linux is so much easier to work with in that regard.

The damaged install is at least 5 years old, so my windows debugging skills are rusty.

Whatever this is, it's failing very early in the startup process.

I tired to enable boot logging from the startup menu, maybe there is another way? Same with safe mode?

Googling didn't help, as it just brings up basic topic for newbies.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas also. Hopefully somebody else can add any ideas. I'm not sure how you would be able to run the following but check this post

#7 this-is-it

this-is-it
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas also. Hopefully somebody else can add any ideas. I'm not sure how you would be able to run the following but check this post

Well I did load and went through the last hours or so of event log messages, it seems that windows shut down by itself.

In the CBS.log right around the time the it stopped booting, I can see that it  TrustedInstaller ran. I'll try to rollback any changes but, I'm doubtful.

The last package listed is way back. 

Package Identity : Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.371.1.3
State : Installed
Release Type : Security Update

Install Time : 4/17/2018 9:54 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users