Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore no longer working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blixx

Blixx

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

New laptop with Windows 10 Home, purchased 6 days ago.

Set it up which took several days to get it to my liking, System Restore points made manually with no problem.

After doing all the Windows 10 updates, I disabled Windows Updates in Settings by changing the logon to Guest and set it on Disabled.

I checked the setting the next day and it had switched itself  from Disabled to one of the other settings (don't recall which).

So I clicked on Start, planning to then click Stop and see if that would prevent it from switching away from Disabled again.

I got an error message, that Windows couldn't start it due to incorrect logon name or something like that - which is what I wanted to happen if Windows tries to override my setting (although once it managed to override and install anyway).

So I thought I was probably ok in preventing Windows Updates without my doing it manually.

I mention all of that because I assume it's the cause of my problem (why it would have caused the following problem I don't know, but I never had the following happen before and I used the above disabling previously on my last computer with no problems, although I had never previously clicked Start after I had set it to the Guest login):

Shortly after the above I tried doing a System Restore point and got the following message:

"System Protection"

"The restore point could not be created for the following reason:

The writer experienced a non-transient error.

If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur.

(0x800423F4)

Please try again."

Thus far, I have:

1) Retried multiple times.

2) Tried to do a System Restore. Got the same error message.

3) Turned off System Restore, wiped out old restore points. Then tried multiple times again to create a Restore Point.

Shutting down, then restarting after trying each of those. All to no avail.

Dskchk saw no problems.

Scannow did:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
For sexample C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios".

My computer knowledge ends here - no idea how to repair this.

Hoping you can help.

Thank you.

Edited by Blixx, 06 May 2018 - 05:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blixx

Blixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:00 AM

Can anyone help me with this?

#3 psb

psb

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

You can start here:

There are several causes for the problem...some as simple as a new windows update

Start System Restore in Safe Mode. Windows will then restart and display a Choose an option menu.

Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore and use System Restore in the usual way.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

I don't know what Windows operating system you had been running previously, but that is not the best way to stop the updates.  You will need to open Services, scroll down to Windows Update, click the down arrow for Startup type: and select Disabled.

I would suggest doing a Reset to get your operating system back to the beginning.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 16 May 2018 - 09:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users