Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Contacts Are Gone!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carz n Compz

Carz n Compz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

I went to log into MSN last night and my account looks like I have never used it before. All of my 100+ contacts are gone, my groups are gone and my screenname is back to my email address. Is MSN having server problems? I am using version 7.5 and I tried Live but still, no contacts. I havent changed anything before this happened.

What is going on? Please telll me I am going to get everything back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

It appears you are talking about MSN Live Messenger?

You may have a malware problem or try contacting MS Live first.
It appears this is an on-going problem?
http://support.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

If you can't fix the problem with MS then return to this thread for Malware help.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Carz n Compz

Carz n Compz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I have been using MSN 7.5 for as long as its been out. Last night i went to log in and my contact list was empty. In an effort to fix the problem I uninstalled 7.5 and installed 8 (LIVE). It didnt work so uninstalled 8 and re-installed 7.5 . I do not think it would be mal-ware as I have heard reports on other sites of people having a similar problem, although no one I know personally has this problem. I did an Ad-Aware scan and deleted 10 tracking cookies. I also cannot see my contacts when I go onto MSN web or even on another computer. I submitted a question to MSN help as well. I am hoping its a server issue at MSN which is looks like it is because the contacts arent stored on the computer but rather @ MSN (thats why we can log in anywhere and see our list).

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

I submitted a question to MSN help as well. I am hoping its a server issue at MSN which is looks like it is because the contacts arent stored on the computer but rather @ MSN (thats why we can log in anywhere and see our list).

Most of these problems appear to have been an MSN server issue. Should you be lucky enough to recoup your contact listing, I'd suggest you retain that list off-line hereafter.

A few instances have been malware related however, and that is why I asked you to check with MSN Live first.

Good luck

#5 Carz n Compz

Carz n Compz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

MSN messenger status shows everything is stable and running. I submitted 2 hlep requests for the problem from MSN/Microsft. I do not recieve any error messages though. I do not have a backed up list but I do have chat logs which show email addresses. I prefer not to re-add until I know i have lost the contacts for good.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

MS is often slow to respond to help requests. (to say the least)

I'd suggest that if you want to keep that contact list, that you make the effort
to recover it by hand now. And endeavor to keep it updated off-line also.
Unfortunately, in many years past, I've also had to do such.

#7 Carz n Compz

Carz n Compz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

22 hours, 2 MSN responses later = NOTHING

People cant see me as being online because its like I have never added them. Only when i add them can they see me. I started trying to compile a list of email addresses from my chat logs but it is difficult due to MSN adding numbers to the end of each email so i cannot tell which numbers are part of the persons email address or what ISP they are on. The file is like "someguy3458232" instead of "someguy34@isp.com".

Edited by Carz n Compz, 07 October 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

Barring a response from MS Live to help you, we'll have to watch for another here with more information. I gave up on MS chat long ago. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users