Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB drive now RAW format, Micro SD problem

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dean1987

dean1987

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Hi,

I recently connected my USB card reader to my laptop with my Micro SD card and never had any problems for a long time now, but it started to do a scan which I hadn't seen before, so I cancelled it. Since then my laptop does not recognise my USB card reader and it does not show up in my computer when i put it in, and in disk management it just shows up as "no media"  and is completely empty. I also get the message "please insert disk into removable disk" 

After downloading a data recovery software, that told me there was no data found but what it did show me was that my removable flash drive is now in RAW format, which I know isn't good!  How can I convert the drive back to it's previous format, I'm not sure if it's meant to be NTFS or another?  Is their a free simple program to use to do this?     My data is on my Micro SD card still and shows up on my phone, just nothing at all now is shown on the laptop.

I am not that clued about this, so hopefully this won't be too difficult to fix!  Appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

Download Testdisk for Windows and unzip to your desktop. Run the program and do a Quick Search. Highlight any Partition found and press the "P" key. Do you see your files? If no partitions are found do a Deeper Search. This can take some time. Highlight and Partition found and press the "P" key. Do you see all your files? If your free space on the hard drive is greater than the data you have on the SD card and you see all your files press the lower case "a" key to select all files the the "C" key to copy and "C" to confirm.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

If you do not find any partitions then use PhotoRec. See this post. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/674369/photos-lost-from-sd-card-and-replaced-with-eec-file/?p=4472971

#3 dean1987

dean1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

I have downloaded the program and extracted now I see loads of files, how do I run the program? I've clicked on test disk win application file but nothing shows up?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

I forgot to mention you should download the 32bit version even if you are using 64bit Windows. In that unzipped folder should be a testdisk_win.exe file. Double clicking on it should launch the program. If you get nothing then I don't know what the problem is. You should at least got the Testdisk window in the step by step guide. I would download the zip file in case the one you downloaded was corrupted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 May 2018 - 07:48 AM.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

if you get to the point you want to give up recovery and just format it then use "SD Formatter V5"  it will fix issues with cards that windows can't fix and make it usable again.

#6 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

if you get to the point you want to give up recovery and just format it then use "SD Formatter V5"  it will fix issues with cards that windows can't fix and make it usable again.

Just don't do that until after you get back your lost data.

A USB drive showing as RAW is often a sign of a hardware failure.  Is the drive showing correct capacity in disk manager?

#7 dean1987

dean1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

My data is on the Micro SD card still which is on my phone, I have always just put that into a usb card reader to transfer files etc to my phone/laptop. The laptop just doesn't recognise the card reader now, I hear the sound when I plug it in that's all. I just want to get the drive back to how it was in it's previous format, as I have all the data on the Micro SD just cant view the files now on the laptop but can on my phone. It all went wrong when I cancelled a scan, the card reader itself works fine. So should I just use the SD formatter V5 as mentioned above instead of test disk?  Which ever one is the most simple to use as I am not really sure what i'm doing!

Edited by dean1987, 08 May 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Just to confirm, you said you can view the files on the phone. Do you mean you can view the files on the SD card when inserted in the phone? Or, do you mean the photos are stored in the phones built in storage. If you Format the SD card then this will wipe all your photos off the SD card.

#9 dean1987

dean1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Hi John, yes i can view the files on the SD card when it's in the phone I have also now copied the files to the phone's storage and they show up when i have taken the SD card out so i have data saved, really i just want to get the drive back into the format it was so it can hopefully read Micro SD card again in the card reader right now the drive just says "no media" and everything is completely empty. So what do you reckon, SD Formatter program or Test Disk and do i have to actually format the SD Card?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

Can you format the SD card using the Phone? Most phones I have had will allow you to format it as portable.

#11 dean1987

dean1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

I have now formatted the SD card on my phone, so next stage is to fix the drive?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

What drive are we talking about. I thought the problem was with the SD card. Are you talking about the card reader?

#13 dean1987

dean1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Yes the card reader, I put it in but windows doesn't recognise it now but it works fine on another computer. When I have it in with the Micro SD the drive shows up in disk management and just says "no media"   and I get "please insert disk into removable disk"

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

Firstly, is the card reader and attached SD card detected in Safe Mode?

If not then the only thing I can think of is to remove all non-present devices. 

Download Device Cleanup Command , not Device Cleanup Tool. Unzip the file and in the unzipped folder you will find another folder called X64. Copy this X64 folder to the root of C:

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/devicecleanupcmd.zip

Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box and Right Click > Run as Administrator. Type the following commands

cd c:\x64
DeviceCleanupCmd *

This will remove all non-present devices. Do the commands with the all USB devices detached except USB mouse, keyboard, or Printer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 May 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#15 dean1987

dean1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

I have just tried them in safe mode and they are detected, I am able to click on the removable drive in my computer which I can't in normal mode. I clicked on a windows drive error check button and it just says windows cant access the disk. When i double click the drive in my computer i just get the "please insert disk into removable disk"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users