Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast "Overseer" ~ Surprise Discovery On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:46 PM

I do not use any Avast software products, personal choice, topic is about “Avast Overseer” application.

A bit ago I updated CCleaner and missed unticking the install Avast Free AV. I had to use the Avast uninstall utility in safe mode to remove the software. The software was successfully removed.

However, during a file explorer project, I found an Avast Software application called Avast Overseer in file explorer -> Program Files -> Common Files -> Avast Software -> inside the folder -> Overseer -> inside that folder Avast Overseer. What a surprise, this application was living rent free, had installed itself or was a remnant left behind [naughty]! I discovered that Avast Overseer is an application that runs in Task Scheduler at startup [the default setting on my computer] and its function is to support Avast products and fix any technical issues. I am not able to say that it was causing any problems, however, I did not want it on running on my computer, nor is it needed as I do not use Avast software products.

The application does not show up in Programs and Features, no results via a Revo search or the registry to uninstall it. I finally found a way to delete it. If you as well find this application and do not want it here's what I did:

In the search bar, type task scheduler -> click purple result bar -> click Task Scheduler Library -> click Avast Software folder -> you’ll see Overseer -> highlight -> in right panel -> click X delete. It will be removed from Common Files. After I completed my task I did a computer restart to confirm the application was gone.

Of course my choice to delete this application might not apply to everyone.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2018 - 07:37 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:41 PM

Sometimes these things also install themselves as a service.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

Hi technonymous!

Thanks for the reply! Interesting stuff, this application was not showing in services, or actively running in task manager, so there was nothing to stop, disable or to kill. I did spend a bit of time searching via Google in hopes of finding how to "delete" this application, I did not find a firm resolution. What I did come upon from many posts is that if you delete the folder in common files, it shows up again. Thus it took me finding the application in Task Scheduler to delete it.

Question: have you found this application on any computers? I'm so curious to know if anyone else has found this application in common files. I totally understand if one uses any Avast software products the application would be beneficial to fix any technical issues.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

Some more info here

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=210028.0

I personally don't like the fact that it installs where it does and the abilities it has.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

There is absolutely no reason for Avast to leave this component behind when uninstalling Avast.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hi, softeyes!

Sorry for the late reply, but anyway:

With all due respect, maybe Unchecky could help by automatically unchecking third-party software bundles?

https://unchecky.com/

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

Hello back to you midimusicman79!

That’s so kind of you to suggest Unchecky. I have noticed a lot of seasoned BC members using this software program and I appreciate you reminding me about it.The CCleaner Avast Free AV option (which was ticked by default) was a sneaky one for me. The result has been a good reminder to be extremely careful and to take the time to check all options before clicking that ‘yes’ button. Thanks for looking out for me!

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hi again, softeyes!

I understand you have never seen the need to use Unchecky since you carefully monitor anything you install and as such, you are just like quietman7, so my recommendation is certainly no imperative. :thumbup2:

You are welcome! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hi again, softeyes!

I understand you have never seen the need to use Unchecky since you carefully monitor anything you install and as such, you are just like quietman7, so my recommendation is certainly no imperative. :thumbup2:

You are welcome! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

@Midi,

If I may, I do have one last contribution.

To the moon and back and to infinity, I will never reach the level of expertise and excellence that quietman7 holds! He is also my never ending inspiration, teacher and an honorable man.

softeyes.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

...If I may, I do have one last contribution.

To the moon and back and to infinity, I will never reach the level of expertise and excellence that quietman7 holds! He is also my never ending inspiration, teacher and an honorable man.

softeyes.

I appreciate your thoughtful sentiments about me.

I missed this topic since it was originally posted in another forum and moved here by a Mod. As such I didn't receive a notification.

Installing an independent application is just another reason not to use avast and this comment sounds sneaky to me...more like they initially tried to hide it.

drake127, Avast team Sr. Member

Hi, I was betting how long it would take for someone to notice.

It is our new application that is going to help us detect common (technical) issues with our products. In a sense, it behaves similarly to our Avast Emergency Update but is able to correct these issues independently and even catch them sooner. That's at least theory, currently we are evaluating its performance on small fraction of our users.

I will add a note to my growing list of disappointments about the product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Hi again, softeyes & quietman7!

My apologies for that wrongful assertion, because what I really meant was that you both carefully monitor anything you install and as such, you both have never seen the need for Unchecky, so within that particular scope of computer security you are alike, but that is all.

Regards,
midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users