Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I export Firefox Passwords?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to export the Firefox Passwords in the most recent Firefox as of May 5, 2018?

I've checked out the answers here and none of them seemed to offer a real solution for this. A lot of explanation of how Firefox works but no way to export Firefox Passwords.

I've located the logins.json and key4.db files but I have no idea on how to get them to work together in order to get the Firefox Passwords into a CVS file format?

The only solution I can come up with is to install an older version of Firefox that the addon Firefox Exporter will work on. I'll look into this but of there is a way to do it without that please let me know.

I don't see why Firefox will not do this, all other browsers offer an option for this. bad policy on Firefox's part.

Anyhow, anyone and Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:25 PM

Is there a reason you're not using Firefox Sync?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:09 AM

In conjunction with @britechguy response, have a read for resolution ideas in this Mozilla support forum (dated 1/27/2017 FF version 59.0b4):

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/12020391 (apologies,will not work)

Correct link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1202039

Self Edit, had to fix the link.

Edited by softeyes, 06 May 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:38 AM

....and.......while you have been sleeping, the fairies have been at work !

my solution:

In Firefox install the   LastPass   add on

In the 'Vault'....go to the bottom of the page ojn the left hand side and click "more options".......then 'Import'

Follow the prompts....that will import passwords from your firefox password manager

Then 'more options' again...click export......follow prompts....it will export a file with these headings....

url,username,password,extra,name,grouping,fav

I have just noticed the file format is ...    export.html

Edit to add : Solution to the wrong file format is :

Exporting from your Online Vault at https://lastpass.com/ will cause your browser to open a tab and display your data in plain text. Exporting from your Online Vault at https://lastpass.com/ will cause your browser to open a tab and display your data in plain text. Copy and paste this data into a plain text file (e.g. Notepad or Text Edit). Then save the file as a ".csv" file and make sure you change the encoding to "Unicode" (as opposed to ANSII).

Hope this is still of some help

Personally I wouldnt trust my passwords to firefox passwords....Never.

LastPass is a brilliant alternative.

Edited by Condobloke, 06 May 2018 - 01:48 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:07 AM

In reference to Firefox version 59 (because I have not yet found the update to v60 happening),  The bookmarks list/function contains a tab, "Import and Backup", which should be what you may be looking for.

EDIT: misunderstood -did not read topic title clearly

Edited by cafejose, 06 May 2018 - 11:33 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

Personally I wouldnt trust my passwords to firefox passwords....Never.

LastPass is a brilliant alternative.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone trusts their passwords to "in browser" storage (Firefox or other), but many do.   At least with today's sync functions there is virtually no doubt that these are stored in encrypted format in cloud storage.

I don't even use the "remember me" for my userid on websites.   Like phone numbers, the brain seems to latch on to userids and passwords via repeated need to produce same.

All of the above being said, I've used Password Safe and it's Android port (an iOS one exists as well) along with the PasswdSafe Sync add-on in Android, and store my encrypted file on Google Drive.  I also believe in the "Portmanteau Method" of creating passwords one can remember, where things like the digits one might use and the special character(s) are consistent, and consistently placed, while the text is something that's memorable to oneself in relation to the entity being logged in to.  For example, if you prefer to use an asterisk (*) as your special character and your "most memorable address" was 1294 Elm St, and you're logging in to PayPal creating any of the following:  1294Pay*Pal, *PayPal1294, PayPal1294*, Pay*Pal1294, etc., creates a mighty strong password.  One could, of course, not use anything directly related to the website name at all but that makes sense to you as an individual, like "ePayments" in place of "PayPal," and you still get a very strong password as the result.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Can you confirm if Password Fox sees your Passwords?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users