Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti virus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 troutfinatic

troutfinatic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

one last thing, can someone tell me what they think the best anti-virus is? if they have use it a length of time. troutfinatic

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2018 - 05:54 PM.
Moved from Firewalls to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

If your a Windows user then I would suggest Avast free I've been using Avast for my Windows computer for years now and haven't noticed any major issues.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Hi, troutfinatic!

I would recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which is paid Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and available from here: https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

The download version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a fully functioning 30-day trial version featuring real-time multi-layered AV/AM protection, which automatically reverts to the free version for on-demand malware scanning when the trial is over. Continuing to use the real-time protection requires purchasing a license, and there is a 12% discount if buying a 2-year license and a 20% discount for a 3-year license.

I have used this for years now, without noticing any major issues, too.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 06 May 2018 - 03:04 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

I don't use Windows OSs much these days although when I did use Windows 7 I used the Avira antivirus free and had zero issues or complaints running it along with Malware-bytes free anti-malware.

Most of the free antivirus software provides basic protection without the bells and whistles.

The bad about free antivirus software is all of the unnecessary bloatware included at installation although usually can be opted out of if preforming a custom install where only the basic antivirus protection is chosen.

The best antivirus is Common Sense and using smart web habits while searching.

Stay away from social media websites.

Stay away from shopping coupon websites those are full of malware.

Never had a virus using free antivirus software so never considered a paid antivirus suite.

Talk to users you know and see what they are using and what their opinions are about what they are using.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective and offer excellent behavior blocking and anti-exploit protection against ransomware but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Dome Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program where I also provide comments as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

The Choosing an Anti-Virus Program link above also includes details why Windows Defender Antivirus with Exploit Guard designed to protect against ransomware attacks is a very good choice as well for those who cannot afford or do not want to pay.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 cunikcz

cunikcz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

I recommend Eset, Kaspersky or Bitdefender as paid Antivirus

As free: Avira

As Anti-Malware: MBAM (free)

Anti-Rootkit: MBAR or NPE

Firewall: ZoneAlarm or Comodo or integrated in Internet Security pack

#7 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

Anti Virus and other security products are a matter of personal preferences. My personal favourite is Malwarebytes premium. It costs but it covers you from all angles of attack.

It depends what you intend to do on the computer as to what sort of software you need.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

Although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus...see here. This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst. Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

hello,I would suggest Kaspersky or Bitdefender,I have BTS myself and it is sit back and relax security,only my opinion :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users