Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

line drawing software for ecthing machine and to shorthen time at the computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 troutfinatic

troutfinatic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

hello my name is troutfinatic. im close to 60 years old. looking forward to being part of this forum, and maybe offer some help along the way..

my first request is does anyone know of a software or app program for windows 7 and 10, that will that will take a color photo and convert it into a clean line drawing. i need it for my expensive etching machine. i need it to take all color out of it and make the line drawing clean and crisp. white background and clean crisp black lines so my machine can etch it for me. I've tried illustrator but im not use to using it to get it done yet.  PLEASE help me if you can. even if its a free program or a buy software i can use it effortlessly. thanks troutfinatic

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2018 - 05:56 PM.
Moved from Firewalls to Graphics Design - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

There's several.  Also, might still be free online too, scratch that TOO DANGEROUS virus mining etc. etc. infested, I should(n't) have even mentioned that my bad.  HOwever, to continue......

keysets might be: line art, vector graphic, conversion vectoriser/vectorizer

(if searching those keywords might help)

Hmmm, running a computer aide cutting / plasma table or making CD's to sell? not a biggy no reply necessary.

eeeeeeeedits to be  human :::: corrected typo JOY, ....added

(n't)

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 07 May 2018 - 04:41 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

The only software that comes close to what you want, and I am acquainted with, is part of the CorelDraw graphics package.

http://www.corel.com/content/pdf/cgsx3/tutorials/dr_4.pdf

Again, I have experimented with a couple of projects many years ago with somewhat "iffy" results, but that was an early Corel version (3 or 4) and was full of bugs & glitches (a CorelDraw reputation, I am afraid). I am sure they have improved it greatly after all these years. After you convert your graphic to vector line, then it is easy to simply select the parts you desire and delete the color fill in them, leaving an outline.

I suggest that you try to get your hands on a version to test before investing money.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

Hi troutfinatic!

Other software to consider in conjunction to Ranchand_ post.

1-Touch Laser Photo™  http://www.rowmark.com/MARK/laser_guide/pages/photo.asp

One detail we don't know, is what format your etching machine requires, and we do not know what your picture looks like to understand how fine the line details are. For example, I was able to convert a color picture to black and white in MS Office Word (2013) and save it as a bitmap file extension (.bmp). Here's the example:

test2bc.jpg

If the black and white example is what you are looking for, and your etching machine will work with a .bmp file, let us know and we can walk you through the process. Note: You have limited artistic affects in MS Office word compared to Adobe Photo Shop or CorelDraw software.

#5 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hey hey troutnic..troutfinatic, misc: associated information.

Import standard media image/cartoon/art/clipart/design-blah! ..... raster /bitmap/.jpg/.gif etc.

R. click

A list of choices and you should see a section of ? outline

... okay outline trace.  

Several of them(options) depending on version of CORELDRAW.

Any of the versions from 8 being the fastest on old systems with true

art before it was all deleted/pulled by certain powerhead/powertrip groups,

to any of the X versions should suffice.

XP and older workstations <<< older systems X5 …. X6 > > > > newer systems win 7,8,10 blah
 , excellent word blah.  I digress, just imagine. AAAAAnd moving on : D

One choice [right click on image/active-image mind you]

menu will say something like this text: OUTLINE TRACE > Line art ....

many options

* tip: because its not ON default meaning already checked or turned on,

please select REMOVE BACKGROUND !

option.

* tip: you miight want to have a system solely/strictly for these operations.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users