Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a Router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pinegum

pinegum

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

I'm running W7 with modem. I just got a Amazon Kindle whitepaper ereader, Now I need a wifi connection to us it. I have a Netgear modem and bought a Netgear router, model R6080. I've tried using suggestions included with the router to set it up and others I found on the internet. Nothing works so far. I have a desktop computer with a full ATX case.

Does anyone know of a link where I can follow a step-by-step instruction on how to get this working. I use a COX cable connection for the internet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Frustrated, Pinegum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Give this forum a try!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6080/R6080_QSG_EN.pdf

Louis

#4 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

The link to download "Nighthawk-app" for help in installing the router was not found. I'm on cox internet service. This what the cox message said.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

I think the app you're referring to is for iOS or Android devices only (via Apple or Google App Stores).  I think the "quick start" guide they provide is not helpful in the slightest, and you don't need an app to set up a router.  The full manual is here - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6080/R6080_UM_EN.pdf which I'd highly recommend downloading.

Essentially the steps will be

- Connect Ethernet cable from your modem to the Internet port on the router (as shown in manual page 12)

- Connect to the router with your computer (wireless setup can be done, but for intial setup it's recommended to use a wired connection).  So plug an ethernet cable from your computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.

- Power everything up, wait for the modem to establish a connection (if it normally takes a minute or two to connect) and log in to the router using your web browser.  The router is accessed by typing http://www.routerlogin.net into a browser address bar.  This is a pre-programmed address that the router should recognise even before the internet connection has been established.  This should run an automatic installation wizard as shown on page 16 of the manual.  Follow the on screen instructions..

The wizard should take you through setting up the internet connection.  How this is done will depend on your ISP, but I think most cable companies will use automatic IP address allocation, and don't require a username and password to connect.  Refer to your ISP if necessary.  More rarely, a static IP address may be assigned, which you would have to enter manually.  Some connection methods require a username and password to connect, but as I understand it, that isn't usually the case with cable.  As I use a DSL fibre connection, I have to connect using something called PPPoE (will likely be one of the connection options you see), which requires a username and password to connect (provided by the ISP).

It should also take you through setting up the wifi, changing the default passwords (never leave them at default) etc.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users