Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Not Bootable or Reading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andantesash

andantesash

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

I am having a problem with my Toshiba Internal HD, my computer done the latest windows update and it restarted and now its saying there's no bootable device.

I've tried booting in safe mode, removing battery, holding power for 30secs etc. I've also taken the drive out and put in another drive which boots up fine, added the drive with issues into my SATA dock and it's not reading in my computer. Also tried booting up with Ubuntu disk to see if it would read the external drive that way but still nothing.

When the drive is plugged in to the dock and I move it around its got the magnetic movement which suggests its running, I can also here it if I put my ear up to it.

Any suggestions on a way to fix this? Not sure if the partition has become corrupt or something - any advice would be grand!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

With the drive attached to the SATA dock is it detected in Disk Management? It may be listed a Offline or RAW?

#3 andantesash

andantesash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

With the drive attached to the SATA dock is it detected in Disk Management? It may be listed a Offline or RAW?

Here's Disk Management. I had this issue a few years back with another laptop and managed to fix it but I can't remember how I did it.

scr_mgmt.jpg

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

With the drive in the SATA dock try a different USB port. Also you can open a command prompt and type:

diskpart

list disk

Is the drive detected detected? If Disk Management does not detect the drive then diskpart will probably not see it either but it is another way to check for a disk.

If diskpart and Ubuntu cannot see the disk then I think it may be dead. Did you boot the Ubuntu disk on the Toshiba or with the drive in the dock?

#5 andantesash

andantesash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

I just tied diskpart / list disk and it's displaying the following:

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          465 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 1    No Media           0 B      0 B

I also tried putting the Toshiba back into the laptop and booting with ubuntu but it couldn't find any hard drive.

Any suggestions or software that I could try to fix it as it is still spinning etc. I wasn't sure if it maybe needed to be re-mounted or partitioned to fix a corruption but I can't even gain access to actually do that.

Is there any way to strip the hard drive and replace parts on it as theres some new files I have just recently added that I haven't backed up or moved to the cloud yet and I need them off it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

If Ubuntu or Windows cannot detect the drive then there is no software that would be able to scan the drive. Only hardware available at a Professional Data Recovery Service would have a chance of recovering any data and this is not cheap. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2018 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users