Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Test Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

I have a laptop (Dell Latitude 3340) with 8.1 on it. I did a reset on it to clean it up a bit. Seems to be running ok but a little slow. I am looking toward the hard HDD Toshiba MQ01ABF050 as the culprit. I used Parkdale speed test and received 92 MByte/second on both Sequential write and read. Not sure how to interpret this. I have the specs for the HDD:

https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/product/storage-products/client-hdd/mq01abfxxx.html

Any help would be appreciated for I need to learn as a student for computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

Even though it is a fresh start try running sfc /scannow, mind the space after sfc. It must be run at an elevated command prompt. You may have a minor glitch or two maybe not, I run that command once a month 99 & 44% it finds nothing.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Even though it is a fresh start try running sfc /scannow, mind the space after sfc. It must be run at an elevated command prompt. You may have a minor glitch or two maybe not, I run that command once a month 99 & 44% it finds nothing.

Ran it and no problem reported. Used userbenchmark.com and got low ratings. This laptop is on the lower end of laptops for performance. I guess it is what it is.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

A simple test of the hard drive, using an appropriate hard drive diagnostic, might be a suseful step.  I would have downloaded/run the SeaTools for Windows generic long diagnostic.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

92MBps is extremely good for a laptop hard disk drive; but, your post does not tell us if the drive is healthy so look at the SMART attributes, especially the Reallocated sector count and the Pending sector count.  I would; however, mention that SSD's are generally 4 times faster than that and you would seriously notice the difference.

"Dell Latitude 3340" also spans an extremely wide range of possible performances.  It can have a very slow Core i3 or a blisteringly fast Core I7.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

A simple test of the hard drive, using an appropriate hard drive diagnostic, might be a suseful step.  I would have downloaded/run the SeaTools for Windows generic long diagnostic.

Louis

Thanks Louis. Ran Seatools as you suggested and received a test status of 100% on the long generic test. 

92MBps is extremely good for a laptop hard disk drive; but, your post does not tell us if the drive is healthy so look at the SMART attributes, especially the Reallocated sector count and the Pending sector count.  I would; however, mention that SSD's are generally 4 times faster than that and you would seriously notice the difference.

"Dell Latitude 3340" also spans an extremely wide range of possible performances.  It can have a very slow Core i3 or a blisteringly fast Core I7.

I ran userbenchmark.com and all was poor except for hard drive. The processor is an Intel Celeron Processor 2957U (1.4 GHz, 2MB, Dual Core) Check out the link and you will see its at the bottom of the list:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+2957U+%40+1.40GHz&id=2200

Maybe I am so used to faster that I assume all are fast. When I googled the reviews on the laptop, it was said that it is great for students because of long battery life. Not much on performance. Oh, I have to order a battery for it. Its shot. What do you think about generic batteries versus a Dell brand?

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2018 - 01:52 PM.
Fixed quote - Hamluis.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

I have found that generic batteries can get you into deep kimchi as they all have there own computer that tells the laptop what they are and how they are doing.

But...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-genuine-YFDF9-battery-for-Dell-Latitude-3340-Dell-V131-generation-2-65WH/123100733314?hash=item1ca9601f82:g:RksAAOSwdzVXki58

The more unfortunate item is that you have an early model where the CPU is soldered onto the system board so you would have to replace the board to improve the performance.  This one has an I5-4210U CPU which is more than twice as fast as your Celeron:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-3340-Laptop-Intel-Motherboard-System-Board-8PC7J-CN-08PC7J-TESTED/192457231145?epid=6015019664&hash=item2ccf584b29:g:blgAAOSw-RhahenA

Those CPU numbers, BTW, affect every web page and how fast it renders (draws) the pages.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

I have found that generic batteries can get you into deep kimchi as they all have there own computer that tells the laptop what they are and how they are doing.

But...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-genuine-YFDF9-battery-for-Dell-Latitude-3340-Dell-V131-generation-2-65WH/123100733314?hash=item1ca9601f82:g:RksAAOSwdzVXki58

The more unfortunate item is that you have an early model where the CPU is soldered onto the system board so you would have to replace the board to improve the performance.  This one has an I5-4210U CPU which is more than twice as fast as your Celeron:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-3340-Laptop-Intel-Motherboard-System-Board-8PC7J-CN-08PC7J-TESTED/192457231145?epid=6015019664&hash=item2ccf584b29:g:blgAAOSw-RhahenA

Those CPU numbers, BTW, affect every web page and how fast it renders (draws) the pages.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2018 - 07:30 PM.
Fixed quote - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users