Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only watch and listen to videos with a restart??

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mom23kidz

mom23kidz

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

Windows 10 64 bit.

Recently did a system restore as I tried a bunch of trouble shooting. I went back to W8, I think. Then pc updated to W10 Couldn't watch or listen to videos, without restarting my pc.

I did NOT do the latest update from Windows.  

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

By video what do you mean: internet video? flash? html5? DVD discs? avi/mp4/mov files on your harddrive?

Please clarify the browser and media player you use?

Please check whether plain audio (mp3 or wav for example) files play sound properly, tell us what you find.

Please clarify the nature of the problem, after a restart does video work for a few minutes? Hours? until you next log off? Or have you not got it to work at all?

Also please clarify the sequence of events you went through, as far as I read it the following happened: you had windows 10 but did a system restore (do you mean a system image?) back to windows 8 (or was it 8.1?), then you upgraded to 10 again (did you choose this upgrade or was it forced upon you, I think the former should be more likely thesedays but ought to check?), you're using 10 now (how long since you did the restore and how long since the re-upgrading?) and videos aren't playing properly?

You might want to check the update lists and logs as to whether you have had the latest updates to 10 or not (just because you didn't choose to install them doesn't mean windows 10 didn't do them behind your back without your consent), just so you can be sure whether you actually have the latest updates to 10.

Please answer as many of those questions as you can, the info should help us better diagnose your problem and work out a solution.

Edited by rp88, 05 May 2018 - 04:00 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

My answers are in blue

By video what do you mean Facebook, Youtube, Cable TV on my pc, Anything.

Please clarify the browser and media player you use? Google browser. media player..idk

Please clarify the nature of the problem, after a restart does video work for a few minutes? Hours? until you next log off? Or have you not got it to work at all? It seems after maybe a half hour if I say flip around to different streams, I can't hear any audio. Have to restart pc then it works. This has been repeatedly before I did any restore.

Also please clarify the sequence of events you went through. If I remember correctly, I did a regular system restore going back to 8 or 8.1. Not sure. Then I was prompted to upgrade to W10. You are correct as the latest update did find it's way in.

I hope this helps ;-)

#4 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

:welcome:

Can I get assistance with my previous issue? A member answered but that was all.

#5 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

Hi,

In some parts of World today is a gazetted holiday! Please be patient, I am sure your helper will return, Bleeping Computer will not leave you up the creek without a paddle.

It might help those willing to help you by giving enough of your system information and the version of windows you are using. To get the version:

Right click the START button and click RUN and enter in the box winver and then OK, small information window will appear and show the current version of  windows. To get  the RUN feature you can also press Windows key + R .

To get some good information on your system, you can download and use a portable version Speccy. Search for it on google and down load it.And then run it. It will generate all the required information of your system. Send the summary in the next post or enter it in your membership account details.

Have a nice day!

Bobang

in all things be men

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Sorry for disappearing like that.

It sounds to me like all those videos have been watched online, can you just try watching a dvd in your optical drive, or watching a video file (avi/mp4...) on your hard-drive. That way we can isolate if this is an issue solely with internet video or if it is all video (the latter would be quite unusual, the former would be a browser issue). Can you also try to work out what version of graphics drivers you are using, and whether these have been updated lately.

Bobang's suggestion of speccy is a good idea, please download it (here is a link https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard make sure to reject any bundling options if you are given any, and make sure to scan the file with your antivirus after downloading , to be really sure upload the file to https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload before you open it). Then when you run it use the option to upload data to an internet link (this link will contain only the non-private info that the speccy log brings up, whereas if you copied the text of the log and posted that you might accidentally post some private data amongst it.

Another point of clarification: why did you feel the need to do a system restore back when you used to be on Windows 10 before? Did you have this problem back then?

Edited by rp88, 10 May 2018 - 06:45 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

I did the system restore because the video/audio was present before the restore.As of now it works just fine.

I did the above and ran speccy. What do I do with this information?

I do keep getting errors..Unable to load certain files.

Sorry, I'm not the most technically savvy. 

Pc is Windows 10 64 bit

#8 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

I did the system restore because the video/audio was present before the restore.As of now it works just fine.

I did the above and ran speccy. What do I do with this information?

I do keep getting errors..Unable to load certain files.

Sorry, I'm not the most technically savvy. 

Pc is Windows 10 64 bit

I still continue to get warnings to reconnect my drive?? No idea.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report them on BleepingComputer

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.  Note:  Speccy free now comes with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it.  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install both of these when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.  When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.  You will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3.  From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item (or press ALT+F,U):

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4.  You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5.  Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Hang on, can I just check this, you no longer have the problem with video/audio failing after half an hour or so? Your issue now is errors when you open "certain files", which files? Personal or system ones? What do the errors say? As for this drive that gives you warnings when to reconnect it, what type of drive is it, please provide the full specifications, please tell us what you use it for and when it last worked without giving warnings. A speccy log could be quite helpful, but you might also need to consult some of Windows' error logs, I'll tell you how to do that later after you've anwered my latest questions. Thanks

#11 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report them on BleepingComputer

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.  Note:  Speccy free now comes with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it.  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install both of these when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.  

I DO NOT SEE THIS PART>>> Speccy free now comes with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it.  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install both of these when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.

#12 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sG2iEI5tuqoQMJV06ItFf3m

#13 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Royal mess now. In an attempt to fix my pc, I accidently deleted my administrator account! I can't win

Can't do anything now.

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

Post #13, did you ever encrypt your hard-drive (bitlocker or anything like that)? If not then if it comes to it you can get out of your current situation by copying all your files from the hard-drive to an external drive, then reinstalling Windows. But there are much more elegant ways, you've already restored with a system restore can't you do that again? What about system images, did you ever make one of those, or find one on the PC when it was new?

I'm afraid I'm finding it quite difficult to help you, I'm not sure what your present issue is now, it seems to have changed throughout the course of this thread? With more information I could probably help better but I don't know what your situation is right now. Can you log on at all? By deleting the admin account did you mean you deleted your own account or somehow deleted some of the built in accounts? If all else fails do you know how to reinstall windows, and do you have install media of any kind lying around, or system images? If not there are ways I can explain to you to make install media, but it's easier if you have it already. Also as this was a PC that started life as Windows 8/8.1 but got upgraded to 10 would you rather, once your problems are fixed, have a machine running 8.1 or 10, your choice here will mean you need to do fairly different things.

Also can you explain further what went on when you made the royal mess, can you tell me what exact thing you were trying to fix and what exact steps you took. I'll be much more able to help if I know what went on.

Edited by rp88, 18 May 2018 - 05:36 PM.

#15 mom23kidz

mom23kidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

Hi there!

What happened was I accidentally deleted my administrator account. I know what a fool. I can not do any system restores at all. I do not have my info backed up. I DO have W 10 on a USB drive. I was going to buy an external drive but thought to myself, why bother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users