Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Remove ALL of Avast

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chase1313

chase1313

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

My mother in her infinity wisdom to install Avast Security on her POS laptop years ago. The license is finally expired and I am trying to remove all of it.

Windows 8

Other Secutiry programs I have installed:

Malware Bytes

CCleaner

Steps I have tried:

I have downloaded Avast's removal tool and ran in in Safe mode MULTIPLE times as ADMIN

I have ran the removal toll outside of Safe mode.

This successfully removed what appears to be most of Avast. It does not appear in my programs list and it's file folder is missing from my programs files. However, if I search for avast using windows, the Avast folder pops up in C:\windows\programs. However, if I try to find that folder manually, it doesn't exist.

There are remnant files leftover that refused to be deleted. From the research I have done, it has to do with the software hiding their files deep in the OS and something with kernels. Anyways, it is preventing my from using Windows Defender. When I try to activate windows defender I receive this message:

This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer. If you are using another to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Security and Maintenance to check that app's status.

I would guess Avast's remnants are blocking my windows defender.

I'm not sure if bleepingcomputer allows images links but some example files and folders that still remain are:

folder:  amd64_avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.25325.0_none_586e9d411a1940c6      in C:\Windows\WinSxS

folder:   x86_avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.25325.0_none_a01bd4182e9569cc           in C:\Windows\WinSxS

more of the above.

folder: avast! sandbox    in C:\

file:    amd64_policy.14.0.avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.25325.0_none_4b5d1834d3072800    in C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests

A lot of the ones above.

I modfied folder permissions for amd64_avast.vc140.crt_fcc99ee6193ebbca_14.0.25325.0_none_586e9d411a1940c6 and anything similar to it. I changed the folder owner from TrustedInstalled to Admin in order to try to delete and it still wouldn't work.

I am at my wits end here. Why is it so bloody difficult to uninstall this stuff? What should I do? I would like to have windows defender operational. Next, I would love to remove all trace of Avast.

Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel as explained here, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.In some instances normal uninstalling may fail, not work properly or result in continued detection by another anti-virus program after removal. Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities (removal tools) on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS. However, sometimes the uninstall utilities do not always work as intended.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Since you already removed part of avast, you may need to reinstall it in order to remove it completely.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 chase1313

chase1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel as explained here, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

In some instances normal uninstalling may fail, not work properly or result in continued detection by another anti-virus program after removal. Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities (removal tools) on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS. However, sometimes the uninstall utilities do not always work as intended.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Since you already removed part of avast, you may need to reinstall it in order to remove it completely.

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I did try removing it the normal way but the uninstalled would get hung up. That's when I downloaded Avast's removal tool and tried that. Should I try Revo before I reinstall Avast?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

You can go ahead and try Revo Uninstaller. The Pro version which is free for 30 days has an audit feature you can enable where it tracks all changes made during the install. 

Just FYI you can download Regscanner and do a search for avast. It will probably show quite a few registry entries left over. BC does not recommend registry cleaners as such but deleting avast specific reg entries should not be a problem. This would be a last resort thing to try if you cannot get Defender to initialize after using Revo Uninstaller Pro.

AutoRuns is also good for any services or drivers Avast leaves behind. You can uncheck the box next to any found items. If the computer runs normally you can go back and highlight the items then click the red X to remove them permanently. 

A BC member posted a registry mode to allow Full Control through the right click context menu. Right clicking the files in Winsxs and allowing full control should allow you to delete them if Revo Uninstaller does not remove them and Windows Defender still fails to install.

Finally, Microsoft provides a fixit for programs that cause issues with installing other programs. I would try this first and see if you can get Defender working after a reboot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

From what I recall, the Microsoft Fix tool handles Windows Installer registrations...it is oriented to remove MSI registrations. I'm not sure if they made any changes or updated it since the tool was originally released.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

From what I recall, the Microsoft Fix tool handles Windows Installer registrations...it is oriented to remove MSI registrations. I'm not sure if they made any changes or updated it since the tool was originally released.

I believe you are right on that quietman.

#7 chase1313

chase1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

You can go ahead and try Revo Uninstaller. The Pro version which is free for 30 days has an audit feature you can enable where it tracks all changes made during the install. 

Just FYI you can download Regscanner and do a search for avast. It will probably show quite a few registry entries left over. BC does not recommend registry cleaners as such but deleting avast specific reg entries should not be a problem. This would be a last resort thing to try if you cannot get Defender to initialize after using Revo Uninstaller Pro.

AutoRuns is also good for any services or drivers Avast leaves behind. You can uncheck the box next to any found items. If the computer runs normally you can go back and highlight the items then click the red X to remove them permanently. 

A BC member posted a registry mode to allow Full Control through the right click context menu. Right clicking the files in Winsxs and allowing full control should allow you to delete them if Revo Uninstaller does not remove them and Windows Defender still fails to install.

Finally, Microsoft provides a fixit for programs that cause issues with installing other programs. I would try this first and see if you can get Defender working after a reboot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Thanks for the reply. So, I should run Revo Pro right now and not try to reinstall Avast?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

So, I should run Revo Pro right now and not try to reinstall Avast?

Yes, try Revo first.

#9 chase1313

chase1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

So, I should run Revo Pro right now and not try to reinstall Avast?

Yes, try Revo first.

Hey there. So I downloaded Revo Pro.

What I did was:

Click Forced Uninstall

Type in Avast

Revo then gives me a list of Avast programs:

Avast Free Antivirus windows 7

Avast Free Antivirus windows 8.1

Avast Pro Antivirus Windows 7

Avast Pro Antivirus Windows 8.1

I clicked Avast Pro Antivirus for Windows 8.1. Note: My pc tells me I am using windows 8. I am unclear if that includes 8.1.

Also, I am unsure if Avast Pro was the exact program I uninstalled because honestly, I never looked at the name. However, I do know for sure it had a paid license so that's why I chose pro.

I had leftover files that wouldn't delete. Revo says "Selected, but remaining files will be deleted during the next system restart".

The exact leftover files are:

C:\WIndows\SysWOW64\ucrtbase.dll

C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbasee.dll

When I restart and run the uninstaller again, the files still remain.

In conclusion, Window Defender won't let me activate it.

Thanks for any help.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

I couldn't find much on these files. If you right click them and select properties find out who signed the file.

I think at this point you either have to reinstall the program and use Revo's Audit feature to track all changes to the OS. If that fails then use the steps I listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5aosAvxWG8

#11 chase1313

chase1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

I couldn't find much on these files. If you right click them and select properties find out who signed the file.

I think at this point you either have to reinstall the program and use Revo's Audit feature to track all changes to the OS. If that fails then use the steps I listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5aosAvxWG8

I have tried reinstalling the program and trying to remove it using their uninstaller and Revo. Still, windows defender won't let me activate. I also tan the trace install using Revo as well as ran the custom uninstall. Still no dice. I also ran Avast's Remover again right after this. Again no luck. This stuff is worse than malware! I will try your other suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by chase1313, 05 May 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

Check step 6. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start/problems-starting-windows-defender-in-windows/808253bb-db89-4db9-a4e5-1c91a86489e9

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

...I have tried reinstalling the program and trying to remove it using their uninstaller and Revo. Still, windows defender won't let me activate. I also tan the trace install using Revo as well as ran the custom uninstall. Still no dice. I also ran Avast's Remover again right after this. Again no luck. This stuff is worse than malware! I will try your other suggestions. Thanks.

What you describe has been a reoccurring problem with Windows Defender...hence the need for one of the Microsoft Answers Community Forum Volunteer Moderators to provide a list of suggestions as noted in JohnC_21's link.

Personally, I believe Windows Defender in Window 8/8.1 is not that effective since it lacks many of the improvements introduced in Windows 10. Another option would be to leave it inactivated and choose another anti-virus.

#14 chase1313

chase1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Success! I restarted it once. Nothing happen. Then I restarted it again. Bingo. I starting getting popups saying my PC was at risk of virus and spyware. I was able to turn on windows defender. I will now try restarting to make sure it will stick. If I don't see you later, thanks for the help. For those finding this thread in the future, now you know not to install Avast.

Edited by chase1313, 05 May 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Windows Defender for Windows 7 was basically Anti-spyware that was based off Giant's antispyware which Microsoft purchased. Microsoft Security Essentials was the AV for Windows 7 but Microsoft dropped development.

Windows Defender for Windows 8.1 is an actual AV but I don't know how the detection rate is comparable to WD on Windows 10. According to MS Windows Defender on 8.1 can replace a AV.

Windows Defender Antivirus is built into Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. If you’re using Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, you don't need to download or install anything extra as you’re already protected.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/help/antimalware-faq

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2018 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users