Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is the air *intake* on my computer?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

It's Friday, I'm tired, but even that's not enough to explain my inability to find the air intake location on my laptop.

Here is a direct link to the Maintenance & Service guide that applies to my HP 15-ba011cy:  

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05227786

The exhaust vent on the left side of the machine is obvious, both visually and because you can easily feel the hot air being expelled from it.  What I can't seem to figure out is where the intake from which it pulls air into the case is.  There's nothing obvious on visual inspection and the service manual does not indicate where it's located, which is really odd.

What am I missing here?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

my hp pulls from the keyboard into the laptop then out the exhaust vent.

place your hand on the keyboard on the same side of the exhaust vent and see if you can feel it pulling air in.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

I am guessing you're correct if only because the "African Gray" dust seems to have settled on the sides of the chicklet keys on the left side of the machine to a far greater extent than the right, where they're virtually spotless on the sides.

I certainly can't feel anything significant as far as air being drawn in around the keys, but it's got to be being drawn in from somewhere.  This is the first laptop I've owned (or at least I think it is) where there is not an obvious intake grate on the underside of the machine.  I'll have to check my older HP laptop of a similar design to see if it's missing one as well, but it's got chicklet keys and I never noticed differential dust collection on those.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

In and Out from the same vent.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Where-are-the-air-vents-on-my-hp-notebook/td-p/6000585

And here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Regarding-air-vents-in-HP-15-AY503TX/td-p/6036698

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 May 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Not that I don't believe "in and out from the same vent," but it makes absolutely no sense.  The heat dispersal fins cover the entire area in the vent opening on the left side, which means you're heating air as you pull it in (not smart) and when it pushes out.

This machine runs far warmer to the touch, particularly on the underside, than any I've owned since my first laptop, an Acer that was notorious for running hot (but mine never burned up, and it still functions).  I run it most frequently on a lap desk, so it's not bogged down in cushions or on my legs but has its very slim area between the case and the desk surface open.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

If the fins cover the entire vent area then I would have to agree with mightywiz the air is pulled in from any opening it can find which is not optimal compared to intakes on the bottom of the laptop. Another cost cutting move I assume.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

If the fins cover the entire vent area then I would have to agree with mightywiz the air is pulled in from any opening it can find which is not optimal compared to intakes on the bottom of the laptop. Another cost cutting move I assume.

HP Forgot to make the vents hehe!

AMD's don't cool, they just burn up and die hehe!  I have a pile of dead AMD's to prove it, hehe, just kidding.  I don't want the AMD police to come and assassinate me.

I agree with mightywiz and what john is saying here, along with Brian's assessment, it makes not sense that air pulls INTO THE INTAKE, it is simply pulling air from what areas it can, area's that HP Deemed enough to cool it. 

It's very clear the fan is pulling air from the top where the opening is, same as all fans I've seen, so that also coincides with what Brian and mightywiz are saying about the keyboard, and more so to one side.  

I ran into something similar about a year ago, when I didn't know they were making passively cooled cpu's, and was looking all over for the intake and not hearing a fan lol.

It still amazes me at how horrible these cooling devices are on all pc's that I've looked at.  I fancy myself as a bit of a backyard engineer, and the design of the cooling on almost all pc's is horrible, and done cheaply as possible.  For starters, Number One on the list, would be to never Push air through the heatsink, but draw it through.  I suspect on a laptop it is just very difficult to do something like this, but I've seen this on desktops also, where it would be very easy to do this.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

pcpunk,

The Acer from way back when, with all the "appropriate openings" was an Intel box.

All of my remaining laptops have been AMD, and by choice.  I haven't had one burn up yet, and they have all gotten a lot of use over a lot of years.  The A6 (Toshiba) and A8 (HP) are still running like champs but I wanted something a bit more powerful with a lot more memory.  Hence my partner and I now have HPs with A12-9700Ps and 12GB of memory.

Bad engineering abounds, but when you have a Tmax of 90°C/194°F it takes an awful lot to reach "overheated."  It seems like the trend, for all chip makers, is to make their CPUs/APUs far less temperature finicky than they once were, which is a good thing.   It should be well-nigh impossible to fry a processor, even one clotted with dust, as it's well known that those are the conditions that most will be running in, and often for years.  You build for prevailing conditions when you cannot effectively dictate them.

I have no great loyalty to AMD, either.  They've just been giving far bigger bang for the buck in the class I've been looking for when I've been looking for it.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:55 PM

Not sure what your point is Brian but I'm very envious to hear that you have that nice new Laptop!  The problem with the AMD's that I've seen is not the CPU but apparently the Graphics part of it all, and I won't pretend to understand the way it works either.  The only thing I know is when they get to hot the Graphics die, and yes, I have tossed so many of these I lost count.  In fact, one of my work laptops is one that was overheating, but was caught before the Display/Graphics died.  I inherited it from a customer and fixed it to use myself.  Many of these have a distorted/melted Exhaust.  I have not yet been able to fix one, but don't really have the skills to diagnose the issue.  I've asked on the AMD boards, and they say that the graphics are dead, oh yeah, and none of these will run an external display.  So there you go, you still have a good cpu, but no graphics, nice pile of junk.  Intel don't do this, they shut down before damage occurs, and the graphics integration is different anyhow.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

pcpunk, yes i have had issues with my pc's video going green when the laptop has overheated.  now i make sure i keep it clean.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

going green

Well that's a new one to me "green"?  I've seen them die, but when they do, it's all over.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

AMD's don't cool, they just burn up and die hehe!  I have a pile of dead AMD's to prove it, hehe, just kidding.  I don't want the AMD police to come and assassinate me.

Crappola in the biggest form.

The problem is the poor engineering design of Laptop cooling to small of an area for heat to dissipate and be exhausted out of the case.

I have plenty of Desktops that run AMD APU processors and they don't burn up.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

No, the problem is AMD don't have any failsafe to shut down upon overheat on laptops which causes the graphics chip to die.  The Graphics Chip is built into the MB, so there is no easy fix.  O-and that was some-what a joke as in "hehe"

Poor engineering...yes...I mentioned that:

"I fancy myself as a bit of a backyard engineer, and the design of the cooling on almost all pc's is horrible, and done cheaply as possible."

I never said anything about Desktops.  I did see a video the other day where they pulled the heatsink while running, one on AMD Desktop and one on Intel Desktop, and the AMD Literally burned up in smoke, the Intel just shut down?  Don't know how valid it is but HEREYOUGO

Edited by pcpunk, 08 May 2018 - 08:43 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

The early AMD's did not have thermal protection but I believe the newer ones like the APU's do. 

You understand wrong. All AMD CPUs since the Athlon64 have on-die thermal protection. They will throttle and eventually shut down if they get too hot. You can set a lower shutdown temperature in the BIOS, and you can do that on Intel boards, too.

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76801#p1076460

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 May 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

I never said anything about Desktops.  I did see a video the other day where they pulled the heatsink while running, one on AMD Desktop and one on Intel Desktop, and the AMD Literally burned up in smoke, the Intel just shut down?  Don't know how valid it is but HEREYOUGO

Yes although that was back in the days of old before AMD processors incorporated thermal shut down.

The only processors I've ever seen burned up were due to over volting when improperly over clocking.

As JohnC_21 mentions in post #14 "The early AMD's did not have thermal protection".

​Bottom line laptop processors just run hotter due to there design which is why mobile processors have higher operating temperatures.

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 May 2018 - 09:55 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users