Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

impossible bios situation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boredout

boredout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

i have been working with pcs since the first gui and i have never encountered this. was working in bios of a windows 10 machine and the phone rang, watched the cat walk on the keyboard and the computer rebooted. no usb keyboard or mouse function. have tried every tick in the book. the bios says that it reloads defaults after the cmos battery is put back in but the usb ports are still dead. any advice(except off the cat) would be appreciated. Cheers Boredout

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2018 - 09:23 AM.
Moved from System Bldg to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

No mouse or keyboard function in BIOS?  Or in the operating system?  Some PC's have a setting in BIOS for enabling or disabling USB keyboard/mouse support at boot time.  If set to disabled, USB keyboard or mouse won't work until the operating system loads its USB drivers.  I'd think it would be unusual for the BIOS default to be disabled on anything modern though, considering USB input devices are now ubiquitous...  Through Google I've found that another possible culprit is some sort of "fast boot" mode in some models, set in BIOS which quickens the boot time by skipping some steps at POST including USB initialisation, but again it should work once the OS loads USB drivers.

If no USB devices are detected even after the OS is booted though, that's a different issue.  Are you able to control it using a PS2 keyboard?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

Most of the older PC's I work on must have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in or I can't enter the password to login the first time so I keep several around just for that.

The common setting is entitled "Legacy Mode" in the USB section and tells the PC to detect and initialize USB keyboards and mice prior to booting.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

I too keep a PS2 keyboard and mouse for just that reason.  Such a simple thing will have you pulling hair and grinding teeth.  My USB keyboard is dead until the BIOS finishes loading.  This also means you can't enter the BIOS setup without the PS2 keyboard.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

pull the batteries from the keyboard and mouse.  and put them back in.  maybe your problem is their instead of the pc.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Please don't let your cat work on your computer anymore hehe.

What about this, and the cat's bad work is just a coincidence.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users