Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ym Messenger

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

Hello,

I just want to ask, is it possible for a yohoo meesenger account to have an malware? i ask because everytime my friend gets online, i keep receiving messages (in bulk) from her telling me to open some web sites, when i ask her if she send me those messages she told me that she didnt.... if its possible, w/c account was infected... mine or my friends account? and how can remove it?

tnx :thumbsup:

Edited by sempai, 07 October 2006 - 11:12 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Edited for what?

Edited by sultan_emerr, 07 October 2006 - 06:30 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

If both you and your friend have thoroughly scanned your computers hard drives with your anti-virus applications, then chances are that neither of you is infected, but yet a third (at least) computer that happens to have your friend in the contact list.
As a test, ask your friend to set up a new Yahoo identity, and see whether or not the same thing happens. If it does, then your friend is certainly infected; if not, then she isn't.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

Thanks John,

I will try what you have suggested.... thanks a lot.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#5 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:05 AM

John

Any particular reason why you haven't answered my question as to why you edited my first post above. (I didn't realize that when I edited in my question that it would wipe out the text at the bottom that showed that you had first edited it, or I would have copied and pasted that text back in, but I'm sure you're smart enough to remember it, and know that you did.)

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

Considering the number of posts I read and edit each day, it would be simply impossible to remember the reason now that the Moderator edit message is gone. Did you perhaps include an E-mail address?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

Considering the number of posts I read and edit each day, it would be simply impossible to remember the reason now that the Moderator edit message is gone. Did you perhaps include an E-mail address?
Cheers,
John

This was the exact message, copy and pasted from my Yahoo folder, as I first origionaly posted it(Of course, if I had been given the courtesy of an answer when I posted my question on Oct 7 2006, 07:30 PM , there wouldn't be any of this "can't remember" stuff now) :

"Yahoo IM Users: Be on the lookout for worm that pretends to be safe browser =
A new worm that spreads through the Yahoo Instant Messaging application infects computers and forwards itself to those in the IM contact list, then hijacks your browser home page and replaces it with a web site that loads spyware onto your computer. Even worse, it plays on computer users' security concerns by passing itself off as a "safe web browser" called Safety Browser and uses real- looking Internet Explorer logos. Read more about it here":
http://www.wxpnews.com/GYHR8H/060606-Yahoo_IM_Worm

Edited by sultan_emerr, 10 October 2006 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users