Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If you could ask one question of God...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mklangelo

Mklangelo

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Just the question.  No diatribes.

Mine is:  Why did you hide yourself from me?  

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

"Why did you hide yourself from me?"

I think I'd be more inclined to ask: Why are you presenting yourself to me?

Edited by Al1000, 04 May 2018 - 06:00 AM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Why do you allow all this suffering? The famines, The wars, why don't you smite evil people like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot just to name a few.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

I don't believe in you. Why should I?

#5 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

ssssssssssssss you've got to be .......... kidding me.

Have a seat.

We could be a while. << edit added.

Oh this is still here, [edit #2]sorry about that sometimes come across as harsh or don't think before I speak, I'm so pleased to see I didn't get into trouble.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 04 May 2018 - 12:57 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

I'd be inclined to ask: When you shuffled the deck, why was my hand short the 'common sense' card? :)

As far as the original question: "Why did you hide yourself from me?"

Hypothetically, what if God asked the same question back?
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Bugger quote toy glitch in  this area ... 
RAD MAN SAID::::: """ Hypothetically, what if God asked the same question back?  """"

HA! are you kidding? Ever heard of a tennis game, you know hit the ball first then they hit the ball back, well, no balls bouncing my way, I was looking even tried your speakerphone every night when i was little. Its not like someone came knocking or appeared before my sparklers, oh thanks for the sparklers by the way, I always thought it was evolution silly me.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#8 Mklangelo

Mklangelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Here's another one that Christopher Hitchens posed that I'll paraphrase here for those that aren't familiar.  

The figures vary, but a pretty acceptable amount of time that Modern Man has been around is 200,000 years.  Some estimates are longer.  But the fossils of Anatomically Modern Humans is from the Middle Paleolithic and are about 200,000 years old. 

So for all of that time, God sat and observed as "people" live these incredibly short, nasty and brutish lives.  While they succomed to rotten teeth before they reached their 30th year.

But then, he decided to send his Son, Jesus, to be the Saviour of Mankind.  To spread the word of Salvation. 

Did he choose China?  No.  But China was by FAR the most literate and sophisticated society on the planet at the time.  Easily the best place to "get the word out". 

But where did God, in his eternal wisdom choose to start the advertising campaign?  In the most remote, illiterate backwater on the planet.  The place had something like a 2% literacy rate.

*The existence of what we call modern Christianity was NOT the result of your son, Jesus.  It was the work of a man called Paul.  Who incidentally never met your Son.  *(this last bit isn't Hitchens but mine.  I added it)

My questions are:  Why did you start this movement in the one place that would almost ensure its failure from a standpoint of the idea reaching the entire Human Race?  And why were we not worthy of this "intervention" 198,000 years ago?  

I know I cheated and asked two questions.  But I think they were good ones. 

Edited by Mklangelo, 20 May 2018 - 01:25 PM.

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

:)  Can't help it (tongue in cheek)-

Maybe because 198,000 years ago humans were still grunting in monosyllables while scratching fleas, unable to think beyond the next dug-up grub worm.

Maybe because beginning at a path of greater resistance better proved the test of time where even today, some pray to JC, some swear by their belief in JC, and some, when hitting their thumb with a hammer instead of the nail loudly swear "JC!" as well as "G.Damn!" 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#10 Mklangelo

Mklangelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

The 198,000 year period is not monolithic. It is not all the same.

Modern Man is not a static creature.  My question is why would it matter if that was the case? 

Does the suffering of man lose it's validity if we look further back in history?  

If your attention is focused upon one moment of history, does the conclusion you draw hold true for the entire period we speak of?  

I must apologize for I am not nearly as articulate as Hitchens.

I'll let you watch his argument in his own words.  

https://youtu.be/MQox1hQrABQ

This is Classic Hitchens and I add it as tribute to a fearless man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nIRJVmZ4K8

Edited by Mklangelo, 27 May 2018 - 06:28 PM.

-Artemus Ward

#11 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

So far one sided and the same mind types only in here it seems .... a thought, well maybe six HA! anyhooo. . . . . . so! this is a debate area, its safe to debate?, and if so, where's the other side, the special kids club yeah I guess you can
borrow that, I hate giving zingers out for free, anyhooo how about the pseudoscience monitor speech and canned/copy-paste commentary in here?  You know the one's with holier degrees, now that'd be something; I hope some can stop in and spread their view because we all need good dialogue to keep the pulse and on our toes so to speak.

Oh forgive the typos, yes informal, generally my awful glitch of typing away gets in the way of grammar perfectionists, so, my apologies.

--- PO!!!!!! byb-bye-now

UUUUUUUpdate: just a thought . . . Edit: my question is already in, did that done that old Hat --- Tah-tAH!!!!!!!

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 01 June 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

If there is a god and if god exists I only have one question:

Why are you so terrible at your job?

Seriously you are the creator of the universe and allegedly the symbol of good and love, and yet you let something like cancer ravage children?

I mean fine ending war is interfering with free will so is stopping murder, rape, robberies, theft, arson, jaywalking....

But curing cancer should be your department

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 June 2018 - 03:59 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

If there is a god I doubt it really cares whats going with the universe in fact it probably is the universe itself. But if could ask one question it would why don't you do something about all these religious extremist? Like I don't make them spontaneously combust. :rolleyes:

#14 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Do you ever get fed up with all these questions? :whistle:

#15 Mklangelo

Mklangelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

No. @thelittleduck,  Questions are good.  I never tire of them.  I actually love them whether I ask them or entertain them.

I really get tired and lose my patience with those who don't like questions.

If you don't like questions, it means you do not seek truth.  It makes you part of the problem.  

Honest questions are the beginning of dialogue.  They are the beginning of knowledge. 

Knowledge is discovery, not dogma.  It is not what you have been told, unless of course your experience proves it.  

Otherwise, it's just what some A-hole told you. 

Edited by Mklangelo, 02 June 2018 - 06:36 PM.

-Artemus Ward

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users