Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 Not Installing Properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MysterioMask

MysterioMask

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

I have a problem I am unable to figure out.  Someone wants a HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 installed on their windows 8.1 computer.  Ive gone through the process about 10 times now and it never installs correctly.  It might look like it installs right but when I go to print something a pop up comes up saying this printer is not installed.  Ive tried the HP solutions program and it always says that there is a driver problem and to uninstall and reinstall again.  But no matter how many times i do it, whether wired usb,wired network or wireless network the results are always the same.

Another thing that is going on is that in the devices and printers it is set to default Fax - HP OfficeJet Pro 6960, and the printer itself should be the icon listed as HP317E7A ( HP OfficeJet Pro 6960) *even though its a 68*, But i cannot default to the printer it only allows defaulting to the fax.  Does anyone have any suggestions?   I have a feeling this might be a something in windows and not with the printer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

I can't say this will work but try the following. Firstly, I would go and download the basic driver package if you have not done so and use it instead of the full download.

Sometimes when the driver gets uninstalled the driver stays on the drive and when re-installing it's used again. After uninstalling the driver open Devices and Printers. Click on the Microsoft XPS printer or the Microsoft Fax. In the menu bar you will see a heading called server properties. Click it and under the drivers tab remove anything related to HP. Reboot and install the basic driver.

Did this computer previously have a Lexmark printer installed?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

Here is a page with instructions on how to remove a printer and drivers from Windows 8.  I'd advise removing the driver package also.  I've seen HP printers that were next to impossible to get working if the printer was connected prior to installing the drivers.

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

As stated... remove any and all software/drivers you attempted to install and download the latest from HP support, Do Not Connect The Printer, Disable Your Antivirus and any Malware Protection Software, and run the latest software you downloaded for that printer model. When the software tells you to connect the printer, then connect and turn the printer on. The rest should finish the install process, run a test print and re-enable the antivirus/malware protection software before you leave

Edited by Joe C, 04 May 2018 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users