Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thumbnails missing from all video files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rickgburton

rickgburton

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

I installed Leawo blu-ray player. It played the blu-ray disk fine. I have many video folders and the video files are numbered. I use the thumbnail preview (image of one of the first frames of the video) so I can tell what video it is. These videos are on my C: drive and E drive: (a 500 gig HD I'm using for video storage). I installed the blu ray player for windows 7. During the installation I left all the file associations checked and clicked ok. After the installation it played the blu-ray disc fine. I opened a video folder on my E drive and all the file thumbnails were replaced with the Leawo Blu-Ray icon or logo. This is no good. I uninstalled the player with Revo Uninstaller and scanned for remnants . I did a computer reboot and checked the video files. Thumbnails was missing from all video files including recorded tv files on both drives. each file showed the generic windows filmstrip and blue music note. I checked all the folder and file settings in windows explorer and they are correct. I cleaned and reset the thumbnail cache. Thumbnails are still missing for video files. I think the software mistakenly changed a value in the registry but I don't know where to look. Can you help me? 

Thank you

rickgburton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

You didn't say what OS you have but see the below guide. What you want to do is associate your video extensions with Windows Media Player.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2630-default-programs-set-programs-default-associations.html

If you right click one of the video files and select Open With you should be offered a program, hopefully Windows Media Player, and there will be a check box to always open the file with the selected program.

You may want to check to see if thumbnail view is enabled.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11738-thumbnail-previews-enable-disable.html

#3 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Windows 7 64 bit
Thank you for the reply John. I already tried that and it doesn't bring back my thumbnails. "Always use icons never thumbnails" is unchecked. This problem is only with video files. Pictures, music, pdf's all have their  thumbnails visible. I have recorded tv files (.wtv) and they only show the WMC logo/icon instead of thumbnails. The only thing I haven't tried is whatever will fix it. 

Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Are using any kind of codec pack?

Possible solution using Media Preview?

https://superuser.com/questions/545708/thumbnails-for-video-files-are-not-showing-in-windows-7

#5 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

i suspect some missing or corrupted files 

try to repair your windows with the windows repair all in one or try to re install your windows

#6 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

John, thanks again for the reply, I don't think I'm using a codec pack. I haven't downloaded anything. I check the link you provided and I believe #5 with the green check mark  might be the solution. I think Leawo software changed a registry value. I'm not all that good with the lingo and I don't understand what he did or the "merge file" thing. Can you give me simple instructions on what to do?

nickos, thanks for the reply. I downloaded the tweaker.com repair and ran everything I could (long long time...lol). After a system reboot thumbnails for video files are still missing. Are you suggesting I reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from the disk? 

#7 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

good morning my friends,

dear rickgburton,

before re installed your windows try this

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mediapreview.html

if you have a third party media player try to remove it completely

try to install a different media player like the xcodec pack

http://www.xpcodecpack.com

your problem may have to do with your media player's missing or corrupted files

#8 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:56 AM

A different media player won't fix the problem. This whole thing started by me downloading a different media player to play blu-ray disks. The last thing I want is another media player. I doubt there are any corrupt files since the videos play just fine. The mediapreview might work but it's only my video thumbnails I'm missing. I don't want to "buy a new one" when the old one can be fixed. I'm sure this has something to do with a registry value being changed by Leawo software. I don't know how to go about finding it or how to change it. So far Leawo support has been no help at all. I've been trying to fix this for the last 3 days. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels.

Thanks

rickgburton

#9 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

hi my friends,

try to remove any software you suspect for your problem and try to delete any remaining registry keys

re install again your software

if anything of the above does not help then you have to think to re install again your windows

i am not if the follow will help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/missing-video-thumbnails/4ccdf723-0134-4269-9d75-6719c07e2fc0

#10 rickgburton

rickgburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

For others that might have the same issue here's what worked for me; 

Restore Default Win 7 file extension type associations. There's a list of all the file extensions types on the Windows Seven forum. From the list I selected all the video file extensions (.m4v, mp4, mov, etc. etc.) When you select a file extension type  it downloads a .reg file. Select the .reg file and right click on it. Select: Merge > Run > Yes > Yes > OK. Thumbnails are back for all video files! Thank you for the suggestions John and nickos! 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

rickgburton

#11 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:11 AM

good morning my friends,

it was a matter of settings 

everything ok now good