Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I just made a change to my PC.. is it hazardous?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hello! So today I decided to dig around in my PC and try to fix this noisy fan for the sake of it..

So to start us off, here's a little background-

The PC is a CyperPower Gamer Xtreme model, whatever model it is, I think it's actually retired, which would explain a lot..

Now, the PC came with two fans to start. Both of them were the same kind, and surely, both of them are equally as cheap!

The first fan, the one located at the back of the case, died in about 1-2 years. To define "died," the fan started making intolerable noises, and on top of that, a major loss of air flow and consistency.

After a time, the same thing started to happen to the fan in front of the case.

Now, this is what I don't get..

They also put a fan in the back of the case, but it's extremely hard to get to. Meaning, it'd be nearly impossible for me to take a screwdriver and get it out of there, because with how the case is build, that fan is extremely hard to get to.. it almost doesn't even seem logically possible for me to get it out of the position that it's in due to a metal structure being in front of it.

Now here's my question, so firstly, when that fan DID run, it ran at a very, very low RPM. I watch it through the see-through case (which is the only good thing about the PC's case) run at a very slow speeds, if at all.. the hardest problem was it's intolerable grumbling sounds it produced.

So I had enough! I decided to dig around and find the cable for that fan specifically. And lucky enough, I found just that. So I decided to experiment and unplug the cable to see if the power transferring over to the fan stopped, and indeed it did.

So right now I'm using this computer with no functioning fan at the back of the case, but there are the two highly functional ones near the front. The processor fan, and the regulated case fan.

My question comes in two segments:

My first question being, when I unplugged the fan's cable, it left a 4-pin connector just lying around on the back of the case. I just wondered if that's a potential hazard for a fire or something, although I have seen another one of those connectors lying around, but it was the opposing side. (if that makes any sense at all..) Basically one of those 4-pin connectors with one cable already connected to it, leaving only the side with the little circle-shaped attachments.

I just don't want to start a fire, lol.

The other part of the question is, is there any hazard for there being no functionality to that other fan? I'm thinking no, because for the longest time the computer's been fine, not hot at all, due to that new case fan I got. And, when that case fan DID run, it ran minimal. Hardly any RPM's at all, so I'm thinking it wasn't even doing what it was supposed to be doing.

I hope I provided enough information, but if I didn't please comment back and I'll surely supply you with any information you need, to the best of my ability. Thanks a bunch for reading! Sorry for the long, wordy message..

Edited by ComputerGuy1500, 03 May 2018 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

Since no model number is available to see the type of case you have hard to really advise about fan removal.

Pictures would be helpful.

If non working fans are unplugged from motherboard fan headers than no hazard from failed fans should be possible.

No fan mounting screws accessible from exterior back of case very unusual.  :scratchhead:

Front and rear case fans are necessary for proper cooling and should be working.

If possible some pictures of inside and outside of case fans would be helpful.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

I wondered from the description about a "metal structure" in front of the fan whether you meant the power supply fan (like behind the grill in the picture below)?  However, that would not have a lead connecting to the motherboard.  The power supply should not be opened, BTW.

800px-ATX-Netzteil.jpg

As The Toolman says, nearly all rear case fans are attached by screws accessible from the outside rear of the case, at least in conventional tower style cases...

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hey thanks for the replies!

Although I'm not referring to the power unit when I said "metal structure," but much rather, I'm literally talking about a metal structure in the case, lol.

The thing is like, supporting the main drive/storage (whatever it's called..I forgot cx)

Honestly though, I'm not worried about it. There's not even any major components in that area besides the drive, which I'm not too familiar with. And, with that being said, that fan never even ran at full speed (atleast, not in recent months/years) and the computer has never given me a sign that it's overheating, and I often feel it, and it feels moderate/never too hot, thanks to that new fan I installed awhile back, it's really been helping the whole thing. But man, both of those fans.. super, super cheap. I wish I could replace the one at the back, but it literally looks impossible to get out, excluding the idea of taking it to a computer store. I tried to get a picture, but the lighting was bad :unsure:

If I may, I'd just like to reassure that there's no possibility that it would be a hazard that I unplugged the 4-pin connector to that fan, although the fan and connector wire is still in the case, just that the wire to the fan isn't connected to anything (besides the fan.) Just wondered if that might be a possible hazard or not.

Thanks guys! :)

Edited by ComputerGuy1500, 03 May 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

As mentioned earlier if it is the 4 wire connector that is attached to the fan and it is unplugged from the motherboard where it receives power to operate the fan then it is fine.

Use a flashlight to illuminate the inside of your case when trying to take a picture. 

Look on your case somewhere there's a model number because without pictures to reference or a known model number and type of case it is really difficult to offering any solutions.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users