Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Drivers Issues leading to BSODs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reverse

reverse

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hello there, sorry in advance if this belongs to another section such as External Hardware or Windows 7.

I've been having issues with my USB drivers since I tried updating my drivers on my most recent Win7 reinstall (which is still pretty old).

Everything works fine and the system is surprisingly healthy and fast, but I have the following problems:

• I have 4 frontal USB ports plus Mic & Headphones ports: The 2 USB ports on the left work, the Mic & Headphones ports do NOT work, the 2 USB ports on the right do NOT work.

• I get an instant BSOD whenever I plug in specific USB hardwares. Considering I just purchased a rather expensive one, this is proving to be frustrating. Here's a list of everything I have plugged in so far and the results:
    USB Mouse: OK
    USB Keyboard: OK
    USB Wi-Fi Adapter: OK
    Various USB Drives (1 to 16gbs): OK
    Internet Dongle: BSOD
    External HDD: OK
    Playstation Joypad-to-USB Adapter: OK
    USB Audio Interface: Not Recognized, but Deactivating and Activating it again from the Device Manager results in a BSOD

• I am unable to put my PC into Sleep Mode. It successfully goes into Sleep Mode, but as soon as I resume activities, I am greeted with a BSOD.

I honestly don't know how to fix this, and I don't want to do further damage, since I'm not sure if overwriting drivers is even a thing (in the case that this is all due to wrong drivers, as I might have just screwed that up).

Can anyone help out with this? If possible, I would really really want to try and avoid formatting, but if it comes to that I get it.

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Sb63TgUS0qQIgGvzUsnxNTs

Synastive File Collection: http://puu.sh/Afia8/b59f75a97e.zip

Edited by reverse, 03 May 2018 - 10:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

There are no OS partition backups on external media?  Reason for asking:  some time ago, my Windows 7 suddenly developed a similar ports problem; I had to restore an earlier OS partition image, which fortunately "pre-dated" the ports problem.  I never did find out why the ports problem happened.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

I do not have a partition with the OS backup unfortunately, no.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

Well, a couple of second best ideas...first, make a full image of your OS and Data partition onto external media of your choosing.

Then, experiment with a few USB fix-it utilities (promising to help fix USB ports) out on The 'Net; or, fresh install your Windows and test the ports. If a fresh install fixes the ports problem, then, you have another giant fork in the road, beginning with reinstalling all 3rd party programs, reconfiguring, retweaking, and so on.  If one or more USB fix-it utilities indeed fix the ports, then you make a brand new OS partition full image onto external media.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 May 2018 - 01:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

So, no matter what, I need a fresh Windows install?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

So, no matter what, I need a fresh Windows install?

That's not exactly what I posted.  Let me post a snippit with slight adjustments:

"...first, make a full image of your OS and Data partition onto external media of your choosing (ok, two backup images).

Then, experiment with a few USB fix-it utilities (promising to help fix USB ports) out on The 'Net;

or,

fresh install your Windows and test the ports. If a fresh install fixes the ports problem...

After you are all done, either way, then, make another OS & Data partitions backup onto external media.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 May 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#7 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

Sorry, I misread!

I will try and see what the results are.

In the meantime, I managed to get my Audio Interface to work by reinstalling the same drivers, for some reason... but the rest of the problems remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users