Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download Windows 8.1 recovery media

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FionnMc

FionnMc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

I'm trying to download Windows 8.1 recovery media to burn to either CD or USB and using Microsoft's site:

This prompts you to download an exe called mediacreationtool.exe

When I run it with options to select American English as language and Win8 and x64 as architecture I get the following failure:

Download did not complete successfully

The download task did not complete.
The parameter is incorrect.

Wzgta0q.png

I've tried downloading it using two computers - one running Windows 10 and another using Windows 7 Professional and both give the same result. I used Chrome and Opera to download but I don't think that makes any difference because you're downloading using the mediacreationtool.exe 

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

I just ran the program on a Windows 7 computer and did not have a problem. What version of Windows 8.1 did you select and did the program allow you to select iso file?

#3 FionnMc

FionnMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

I just ran the program on a Windows 7 computer and did not have a problem. What version of Windows 8.1 did you select and did the program allow you to select iso file?

I selected the first option - Windows 8.1

The program allows me to select either the iso or USB option and then I click next and it prompts to save the download and as soon as you select a download location and click ok it returns immediately with the error on the first post.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

I got to the point of where it asked where to download then stopped without pressing okay. I retried the download and this time selected Okay. I got the same error you did so there must be a problem on Microsoft's side. 

Edit: Can you successfully download 8.1 using the Windows Iso Downloader?

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Edit Edit: I was able to successfully download using the above tool. Select Windows 8.1 Home and Pro. Then Language.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#5 FionnMc

FionnMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

I got to the point of where it asked where to download then stopped without pressing okay. I retried the download and this time selected Okay. I got the same error you did so there must be a problem on Microsoft's side. 

Edit: Can you successfully download 8.1 using the Windows Iso Downloader?

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Edit Edit: I was able to successfully download using the above tool. Select Windows 8.1 Home and Pro. Then Language.

That works. Thank you kindly.  :clapping:  :bounce:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Your Welcome, glad that sorted it out and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users