Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to compare and update manually created backups

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

Hi! So I have an external HDD with a large number of important files that use about 200Gb of space. A few months ago I manually backed up the data to different computers throughout my house. I continuously add and remove files to this HDD and I don't update the other backups.

This creates a problem because the changes are numerous and it would take hours to update every backup manually.

So what I'm looking for is software that will compare the relative names and locations of each file and delete or add files accordingly untill both backups are similar.

What I've tried:

* Use the 'tree' command and then use a text comparison tool. This is ineffective because one deleted file will cause every following line to not be a match.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Edit: if necessary I'm willing to re-create this backups using software that can then check for differences.

Edited by SupermanPrime, 03 May 2018 - 07:06 AM.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

FreeFileSync may help you doing that if you didn't change the folder structure on the other computers...

https://freefilesync.org/

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hi,

FreeFileSync may help you doing that if you didn't change the folder structure on the other computers...
https://freefilesync.org/

That does seem to be exactly what I need. I will try it out soon. Thanks!

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users