Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.2 Rafael Cinnamon 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

I have the above on a Live DVD. I know I downloaded this in 2015. Just wondering how much longer this will be good. What is the newest distro? I've searched with no definitive answer.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Hello,

What do you mean by "good"?

The downside of using a live DVD from a security standpoint, is that the software has not been updated since before the DVD was created. So for example if you use Firefox on the DVD, you are using an old 2015 version of Firefox.

Edited by Al1000, 02 May 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

The DVD is good forever, but how it functions over time will tell you when to stop using it online.  As Al said, it's mostly due to the Browser Firefox being a bigger security risk at this point, and, I've noticed the old Firefox don't even work all that well anymore.  But the OS can still be used for some things if you want offline.  I still use the older distros for testing older hardware, so therefore I will keep those around until all those old computers are gone.  You may be able to install the newest Chrome on the Live Medium, I have many times, or for that matter Firefox, though can't remember if Firefox can be installed from the net unless done manually.  Of course these things will be gone on next reboot.

Here is the Link to the newest Mint Cinnamon 64bit

If you are considering Upgrading you may be able to do that from your current distro.  If you want to do this or a clean install provide your specs and computer model.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 838 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

As far as I'm aware, Cinnamon 17.2 is supported till 2019, if that's what you're wanting to know, but if you downloaded your copy in 2015, there will be a monstrous amount of updates needed after install to bring it up to the present day state of that release.

Unless you have a particular reason for wanting to use 17.2, you're much better using a more up to date release.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

Yeah you would be better off with something more recent.

Currently the most recent version of Linux Mint is 18.3 but in a month or so we will probably see Mint 19 come out.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Hello,

What do you mean by "good"?

The downside of using a live DVD from a security standpoint, is that the software has not been updated since before the DVD was created. So for example if you use Firefox on the DVD, you are using an old 2015 version of Firefox.

Bad choice of words. I should have said supported.

The DVD is good forever, but how it functions over time will tell you when to stop using it online.  As Al said, it's mostly due to the Browser Firefox being a bigger security risk at this point, and, I've noticed the old Firefox don't even work all that well anymore.  But the OS can still be used for some things if you want offline.  I still use the older distros for testing older hardware, so therefore I will keep those around until all those old computers are gone.  You may be able to install the newest Chrome on the Live Medium, I have many times, or for that matter Firefox, though can't remember if Firefox can be installed from the net unless done manually.  Of course these things will be gone on next reboot.

Here is the Link to the newest Mint Cinnamon 64bit

If you are considering Upgrading you may be able to do that from your current distro.  If you want to do this or a clean install provide your specs and computer model.

Well, I was considering using a Live DVD to do banking online. However since the distro I currently have is outdated security-wise, I was looking for something more current. I know Al1000 has recommended Puppy but wanted something  along the Linux Mint where it is a little more familiar.

I wonder if you can save files using a Live DVD?

Here are my computer specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    xxxxxxxxxxx
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    Inspiron 545
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Pentium® Dual-Core  CPU      E5400  @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A11, 9/7/2009
SMBIOS Version    2.5
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    5.99 GB
Available Physical Memory    4.86 GB
Total Virtual Memory    12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory    10.5 GB
Page File Space    5.99 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Any guidance is appreciated

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

Any guidance is appreciated

I believe this is what the OP is wanting 1st paragraph.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2863

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Well, I was considering using a Live DVD to do banking online. 

So, are you considering Upgrading, or do you not have linux installed at all?

You should be able to install Linux to that pc with no issues.

I don't bother using a Live DVD to bank, and don't believe it is any safer than practicing safe computing.  I don't store important passwords on my pc or my browser, and there are many other things you can do to stay safe with your banking.

Safe Banking Malwarebytes

Maybe get yourself a dedicated Linux Machine just for banking.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

Using linux just for banking is a bit silly, if you are going to use it on the side fine but not just for one purpose.

Also do note some banking websites are utterly crap at using non micvrosoft software, I know of a few banks that still want people to use IE 6.

We call those banks bleeped

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

From the Malwarebytes Link:

10. Buy a computer just for bills. For those willing and able, purchasing a laptop dedicated only to financial transactions helps limit the potential for infection and breach. That means online banking and bill paying only. No checking email. No surfing the web. No social media. Start up, check accounts, and shut down.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 838 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:13 AM

No.

You can with a Live USB (with persistance), but since a Live DVD is not stored on read/writeable media, then writing data to it is not possible.

In any case, if you're wanting to do "safe" online banking, then saving files is exactly what you don't want to do. It's the fact that files can't be saved, that makes using a Live DVD "secure".

No files, nothing to trace = more secure ............. or at least, that's the theory.

Truth is ..... online banking (like all online activity) is not truly secure ........ period.

Edited by Gary R, 03 May 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

As Gary says Mint 17 is supported until 2019, but that's irrelevant when using a live DVD because it's not being updated.

I know Al1000 has recommended Puppy but wanted something  along the Linux Mint where it is a little more familiar.

Since nothing on the internet is 100% secure, it becomes a matter of what we consider to be secure enough for our own uses. Part of the reason I recommended Puppy is because it is designed to be run from CD. However from a security standpoint, even though Puppy is 'secure enough' in my personal opinion, Mint should be 'more secure' because you run it as a normal user with restricted permissions, whereas with Puppy you basically run as root.

You can use a live DVD to save files to a writable media, such as an internal hard drive or a USB flash drive.

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Well, I was considering using a Live DVD to do banking online. 

So, are you considering Upgrading, or do you not have linux installed at all?

You should be able to install Linux to that pc with no issues.

I don't bother using a Live DVD to bank, and don't believe it is any safer than practicing safe computing.  I don't store important passwords on my pc or my browser, and there are many other things you can do to stay safe with your banking.

Safe Banking Malwarebytes

Maybe get yourself a dedicated Linux Machine just for banking.

I do not have Linux installed. I just have the DVD i referred to in my initial post.

Since the Windows OS is more of a target for hackers I read that Linux would be a more secure solution for online banking. Obviously there are those who may differ in their opinion.

I started a thread in the General Chat Forum with regards to this.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/676722/online-bankingis-it-safe/

Perhaps this will clarify what I am attempting to accomplish as I am skeptical and uneasy about putting anything online, let alone banking, paying bills,etc.

Thanks for the responses, it is appreciated.

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Your bank is more likely to get compromised before you would.

If this were to happen and you only do banking in person your information would still be compromised.

No need to worry as already mentioned online is pretty secure these days.  :thumbup2:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

Since the Windows OS is more of a target for hackers I read that Linux would be a more secure solution for online banking. Obviously there are those who may differ in their opinion.

Can you provide that link?

Do you follow all or most of the directions at the Malwarebytes Link I left you?

What is your current setup:

Antivirus Paid or Free?

Antimalware? with rootkit checked.

Are you storing passwords in your browser or keeping them in a file on your pc?  If so this is not suggested.

Sophos Banking

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users