Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tablet Hack

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arokh

Arokh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Greetings everyone.

So here's my story: I retrieved a company tablet from a recently fired employee. Company management want's to know what he was up to with this tablet. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, as my IT department controls the local admin account of all company issued devices. Problem is, this terminated employee, bought this tablet without our knowledge using company money (one more reason that he was fired, I'm sure).

So, in my attempt to hack into this thing, I have been meet with several problems. First off, the previous workers account is locked by a PIN. Good luck trying to get that out of him now. Second, the thing has BitLocker security on it, so I am unable to access any drive other than X:\ through a cmd hack. Third, the device does not support boot from USB, so my usual hack tools cannot be utilized.

So, I pose this question to the Bleeping Computer community. Any ideas on how I can get into this thing (Lenovo MiiX 320) without wiping out all the previous data/Windows (10) installation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Forum rules would appear to prevent anyone from answering your question.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

Well...if the system was bought with company funds...and said purchase was not authorized...seems to me that the safest/smartest thing to do would be to wipe it and treat it as a new system.

Seems like bad management...if any data had been desired retrieved from this computer (of unknown origin)...that should have been the priority before removing siad individual.

Since the company was unaware of this system...what makes anyone think that there is anything on the system that is of company interest and worth a salvage effort?

Just my thoughts.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Just wipe the tablet clean, anything else would probably be illegal.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users