Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My intel nuc won't show video output anymore.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 malthehensberg

malthehensberg

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hey. The other day i was watching some youtube video on my intel nuc, and then suddenly the screen went black. I went to check on the computer, and it was still powered on, but it was really hot. I tried to let it cool down, but a week later still no video signal. I tried different monitors, but it is definitely my intel nuc. It's a Intel NUC DC3217IYE. Can anyone figure out, what the problem is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

Try the normal troubleshooting - power down completely (disconnect from mains), check all cables are securely connected, remove and re-seat memory modules.  If no luck though, I think these NUC's are highly integrated with nearly everything being done by the CPU (including video).  The CPU is a laptop type soldered to the mainboard and therefore not user replaceable.  It's possible excessive heat over time could have caused the solder joints to crack.  In which case reballing the CPU may be an option.  Whatever the case, I suspect it will need to be looked at by a competent technician rather than something you can do yourself.  And repair costs vs. the price of replacing with new will be something to think about.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

i thought i posted a link to intel saying they had issues with the SSD overheating and had a fix for it for your specific model.  but i must have forgot to hit post.

here is the link again.

first thing i would do is disconnect the SSD has failed and see if that solves your issue.

it also references that a change to the fan speed needs to be done and offers a free thermal pad for the heat issue.

but if the heat has already damaged the unit then you need to take it up with intel on a warranty repair.

check warranty status of your unit i think they said it had a 2yr warranty on that model.

if it's out of warranty, still call and  make sure you reference the repair bulletin that states their is an issue with overheating and your unit is now dead because of it, that is if it falls within the specific model (G80097-101, G80097-102) you might get lucky and get a free repair or replacement because it's a known issue.

a repair notice like this is just as good as a recall notice.  and since they are offering a free part to address the situation then maybe they will cover your unit being dead now because it overheated.

it's worth a try.

Edited by mightywiz, 02 May 2018 - 06:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users