Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS changes naming standard for MediaCreationTool to include big version number

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

Hi all!

For all big Windows 10 upgrades until now, MS has called its MediaCreationTool exe file just MediaCreationTool.exe, but now MS has changed the naming standard to include the big version number, and as such, it is now called MediaCreationTool1803.exe.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Actually, that's quite helpful, at least if it "means what it says".

I have often wondered whether the "old" MediaCreationTool.exe was set up to grab whatever bits and bobs were needed to assemble the current Win10 ISO, whatever current happened to be, or whether they grabbed the parts that were current when that MediaCreationTool.exe was downloaded to your computer.  Does anyone know the answer to that?  I never tried creating a Win10 ISO for a later feature update version using a Media Creation Tool that I had downloaded significantly earlier.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Hi again, britechguy!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Of course I always download the new version of the Media Creation Tool each and every time a new big version of Windows 10 is being launched, just to be sure it is worth burning a DVD (meaning that I know for sure that I actually get the newest big version of the MCT and Windows 10).

And this actually saves me the time of manually renaming the MCT exe files in order to keep them along with the ISO files as well as to keep track of their changing size on their respective DVDs. And in fact, this version (1803) of Windows 10 is a bit smaller than the previous version (1709), and a bit bigger than the 1703 version, but YMMV. :whistle:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 02 May 2018 - 11:28 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users