Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I repair or buy????

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

I presently have a Toshiba Satellite laptop L505D-GS6000 PSLV6U-01F009 that has served me well for several years.  This morning I booted up and found nothing but a black screen. I went on line and tried all of the suggested methods to wake up my machine but nothing works.

Is this machine worth the cost of fixing, or should I just get another laptop? 

I understand, in its time it was a great machine, but has time outpaced its technology making it worthless to repair if I am told it needs the hard drive or mother board replaced?

If I decide to replace it, what would be comparable in quality in today's standards?

Thanks for your help? 

Harkcomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

Given that the processor in this machine was introduced in September 2009, there is no way I would recommend spending a penny on repairing it.  This is a real antique in the world of computing.

For the likely minimum cost of any repair to this machine you could be well on your way to a brand new one, and even a low-end laptop with the current common processors will run rings around the one you have.  Even many netbooks would.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Given that the processor in this machine was introduced in September 2009, there is no way I would recommend spending a penny on repairing it.  This is a real antique in the world of computing.

For the likely minimum cost of any repair to this machine you could be well on your way to a brand new one, and even a low-end laptop with the current common processors will run rings around the one you have.  Even many netbooks would.

Thanks Brian for the advice. I will take your advice and go for a new machine.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

I would check the basics if money is tight.

Pull the AC power, pull the battery, hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then put it all back together to see if it boots.

Do you see anything on the screen at all during the boot?

Any lights?

To me, if it is a failed hard drive then you could fix it for under $100 and upgrade to a SSD at the same time and get a few more years out of it.  If it is anything other than a hard drive I'd replace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users