Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or Something Weird

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

First off I want to apologize this may be a little lengthy.  So I have a windows 10 Os with all the latest updates. It was working like a charm and I got a WD My Cloud drive and it to was pretty cool everything working up until a day or two ago. And I hope you can get through all this I could really use some help with the matter. 

So Scenario  is: All of the sudden I encountered some kind of what I thought was some small temp file malware that I proceeded to delete but it seemed to reak a whole lot of havoc on my system to the point of reinstalling the OS. 

Part 2: I reinstalled the OS which included some pretty messed up steps that was hanging during clean install but still installed the OS so I had let that go. 

Part 3: Re Installed all files folders and programs slowly and kept every thing off the network as I did . Scanned all my drives and devices and had no issues. 

Part 4: I reset the wd drive which is not a external so much as an NAS device. which hooks up to the router. All my router settings are not default as I changed all passwords and ssid.s to the router settings and network settings. 

Part 5: I have a secure av which is a paid av and Vpn service. So now I proceeded to plug in and install the device and software. and almost immediately whatever was there before showed up again. I do believe that whatever it was was in the device firmware or something. because I scanned the PC while it was plugged in and nothing and then opened the drive device folder so that the Pc would recognize it and like I said did a scan and it found the issue again. 

Part 6: I unplugged the device and took that back to the store scanned the Pc and removed the problem before it accured again, which by the way was a nightmare. the computer ended up in a loop at boot up and I could not get into any recovery at first but when I did the computer stated any recovery options I tried did not work or would not run. 

Part 7: I returned the drive and got a new one but am really worried about re hooking it up. 

Part 8: So I am wondering then the spectrum guy gave me a new router and hooked the device up to it instead of me and may have hooked into the port my Vpn was on or was it my router, a bad download or the device itself 

What could have possibly been the issue and how can I prevent this from occurring again. Is there a way to secure the NAS device better than the steps I took. And is it worth it. 

Sorry so long but any help would be appreciated if you get through the rant. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users