Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd rom wont boot at start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EA1

EA1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

I was trying to install win xp, i am running win 7. I go into bios and change the order it will boot, i save and exit. But it wont boot it, just go back to the normal windows 7 screen. 

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2018 - 07:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Do you have your OSs on separate drives and want to start up in Win XP always?   Then, yes, you should go into the BIOS and change the order in which the drives are booted. 

If this is NOT your intent, you need a boot manager.   Are you running Linux as well?   Then you probably want GRUB or GRUB2.  There's a boot manager setup for FreeBSD as well -- apologies, but I've forgotten the details.   However, what strikes me as the most likely prospect is that you wish to switch between Win XP and Win 7.  In which case, you want NeoSmart Technologies' EasyBCD.   Get it today (it's free), follow the simple set up instructions, and enjoy life forever!

Do this now.  Ten minutes of fiddling around and your life will be better.

#3 EA1

EA1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

i want to install winxp, i am not able to run the disk it comes on because its not able to run at start up. I go into bios and change the order but it doesn't work. 

#4 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Okay. Apologies if this sounds stupid, but I've made this mistake ....   Precisely which disks are you trying to reorder?   

Let's assume you have one hard drive and one CD drive.  You should be selecting the CD as your primary drive.  Boot up with the Win XP disk in place and instructions during the installation should guide you through creating a partition for XP, formatting that partition, installing the operating system, etc.  You will need a boot manager at some point to access both Win 7 and Win XP, and I still recommend EasyBCD -- which you're going to have to download and install as a separate thing, since it isn't part of Windows.

Alternately, you may have two (or more) hard drives and a CD drive.  Again, you select the CD as your primary.  Boot up with the Win XP disk and as part of the installation you'll be asked where WIN XP should go.  Pick a partition (or a disk) not being used by Win 7 and install there.  Again, you're likely to find that Win 7 still seems the only operating system on your computer when you revert to normal operations -- Win Explorer ought to show you the partition where XP installed, and you can probably treat it as just another data drive, but you won't be able to boot it up until you install a boot manager.

Now you COULD get fancy and install XP on a second drive and then alter the BIOS so that second drive was treated as the primary, so that you routinely boot up in XP and ignore Win 7.  I'm guessing that this is not your intent.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

References.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users