Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems You've Encountered under Version 1803

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

So far, all 15 minutes of use of it, none.  However, I thought a thread dedicated to things people might be encountering would be helpful so that we're aware of what's going on.  There are certain to be some problems, and this is the place to mention those that you've hit.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

I haven't had any computers upgrade to 1803 (yet), but I'm following. Undoubtedly, I'll have customers that update and have issues. I'll update the thread if I encounter any issues.

#3 geekpryde

geekpryde

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

I upgraded fine today to 1803, Windows 10 pro.   Did a ton of work for about 2 hours, very stable.      Then I decided to put in the common AltTab fix, to get back the old fashioned AltTab.     I have done this on every version of windows 10, not problems.  (AltTabSettings Registry value)

After restart, windows would not boot.    Black screen, blue spinning cursor.     Waited 15 minutes, did a hard reset.   No luck, same thing, windows wont boot.       I did windows startup repair, which failed.   I did windows system restore, which failed, as apparently 1803 turned OFF system restore?!    I did a rollback to previous version of windows 1709, which thankfully worked, fast and no problems.

I created a system restore point manually, then ran the upgrade again, then booted into windows 1803 and confirmed that system restore is turned off by 1803 upgrade.   I manually turned it on, created another restore point and restarted.   All is fine now.  

It may be that the registry entry is no longer needed at all, or that it is incompatible with the new task Timeline feature.

TLDR:  Dont use the previously suggested AltTabSettings Registry hack!!   You will very likely encounter corrupted windows install.    Also, make sure to check if your upgrade turned off system restore on the OS drive.

Edit:   I did a restart after re-installing 1803, and same thing.  Black screen, blue spinning cursor.  Since I did not touch the registry, or any other settings, it has nothing to do with that.   Back to 1709 we go!        I have no idea if this is specific to my hardware and software, but at this point, I would be very cautious.

Edited by geekpryde, 01 May 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Well, I've had no issues with rebooting and the main lock screen now responds to my usual "hit enter" to get the password entry box to appear.

One big issue in my book is that MS decided, again, that they should turn on Fast Startup under Control Panel, Power Options, "Choose what the Power button does."  I have never wanted Fast Startup.  When I shut my system down I do not want any sort of partial hibernation, I want it completely shut down and the OS to reload from disk when powered up again.  I have tweaked that back to my preference.

Everyone should, as a matter of course, revisit their Privacy settings at each and every major feature update.  The Privacy Settings pane itself has changed somewhat and there are more options.  I cannot remember each and every option I may have set in the past, but I can say that things remained very substantially as I had them.  But the additions require your attention and a review to make sure that everything is as you prefer it is an essential step at each major feature update.

I had System Restore active in all prior versions of Windows 10 and that carried over to Version 1803 (as it has carried over in the past).  I have no idea why those who are having System Restore turned off during feature updates are experiencing this, but it's reported often enough that I know it actually happens.  So, just like everyone should check Privacy Settings as a matter of course, doing the same with System Restore would be wise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Edit:   I did a restart after re-installing 1803, and same thing.  Black screen, blue spinning cursor.  Since I did not touch the registry, or any other settings, it has nothing to do with that.   Back to 1709 we go!        I have no idea if this is specific to my hardware and software, but at this point, I would be very cautious.

This is one of the reasons I try to drive home the point that it's insane to intentionally do a feature update during the early weeks unless it occurs on your (for any you) computer as a result of the normal Windows Update mechanism.

There are always "bleeding edge" issues for some segment of the population and most of these get worked out during the first two weeks to a month as Microsoft receives system health telemetry letting them know what's occurring.

Had my machines not "gone 1803" as part of a typical "Check for updates" button press in the Updates & Security Settings they'd all be sitting here waiting patiently until either that button press, or a cyclic check by Windows Update behind the scenes, were to trigger the feature update.

Patience is a virtue, and never more so than when dealing with brand new releases of anything.

#6 geekpryde

geekpryde

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

I have no idea why those who are having System Restore turned off during feature updates are experiencing this, but it's reported often enough that I know it actually happens.  So, just like everyone should check Privacy Settings as a matter of course, doing the same with System Restore would be wise.

It may be related to the type of hard-drive.  I am using a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe m.2 drive.     Just wanted to mention it as a data-point, in case others see this as well on m.2 drives.

#7 geekpryde

geekpryde

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

This is one of the reasons I try to drive home the point that it's insane to intentionally do a feature update during the early weeks unless it occurs on your (for any you) computer as a result of the normal Windows Update mechanism.

There are always "bleeding edge" issues for some segment of the population and most of these get worked out during the first two weeks to a month as Microsoft receives system health telemetry letting them know what's occurring.

Had my machines not "gone 1803" as part of a typical "Check for updates" button press in the Updates & Security Settings they'd all be sitting here waiting patiently until either that button press, or a cyclic check by Windows Update behind the scenes, were to trigger the feature update.

Patience is a virtue, and never more so than when dealing with brand new releases of anything.

I agree with all your points of course.   The reason i decided to intentionally install it on Day one is this: (1) Windows updated downloaded it automatically, as I have WSUS to auto-approve (normally pro/ business users get these updates rolled out much later) , (2) Windows prompted me to install it (3) I clicked install it, and it Failed repeatedly through window update  (4) it was likely going to be stuck failed for weeks, trying at least once a day to install it, failing over and over, as I have seen this before.  (5) I wanted to control the time of update (6) I have never had a major issue with windows 10 updates.  (7) The Windows 10 Update Assistant downloaded, verified, installed, rebooted into 1803 with no issues.   

Like I said, it was even stable for a few hours of heavy workload before I decided to restart, where it failed to load windows.

So, point well taken, but I really thought manually updating it would be preferable to a downloaded, failed windows update.     I mention it, as it is likely others will have this scenario.        As a precaution, I have un-approved 1803 from WSUS, but my machine still sees the downloaded 1803 and wants me to install it.     So, I have also for the first time used "PAUSE updates".   This will buy me some time.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

This being Spring and me being a junior farmer, this is a very busy time of the year for me. That said, I did make the time to perform a clean install of the April Update (AU) from a freshly created USB stick that I had created using Rufus. So far everything seems fine with no issues that I have detected. I have about 50% of my programs and apps reinstalled into my system but I have to go out to do some work this morning. I will report back if I have any problems with this update but so far all is good on my system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

Almost 24 hours later and things are still functioning smoothly and all of the prior tweaks I made to neuter Cortana, etc., carried over into this update as they have been doing all along.

I have not done a single clean install nor reset nor refresh on any of my machines.  The feature updates have worked smoothly on the tower that started life as Win7 Ultimate and the two laptops that started out as Win8.1 as well as the two laptops that came with Windows 10 as their installed OS.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Well i started this Lappy up today Win 10 Ver 1709 { after a month } and immediately it started downloading Data.

I have a shotcut on my Desktop for the Wireless Connection - Status...because i want to know what is going on ? Data Transferring / DLoad.

I didnt get a Notification as to what was happening , but i knew it was MS , it got to 1Gig DLoad and i went to Settings / Security Upates and it then Displayed what was Downloading / Feature Update 1803 / and Defender , Total Data Downloaded was 4.1 Gig and Install took about an Hr to complete.

I wasnt worried if it went haywire or not as i have a Backup Image , but i suppose you dont have an option not to rush in and wait and see what others have issues , because its all Auto Update when MS control it.

Any Hows ! ......All went well , no boot issues and didnt see alot of apparent Change ?

I checked Privacy Settings - All - and made some changes , mostly all are Off for the moment as i dont need them for General Browsing the Web , and still learning the Inners of Win 10 and familiarizing with it. { Not a Big Curve from Win 7 / 8 } just MS changing the Playing Field of Who`s In Control.

I have nothing to hide anyway and im not Paranoid but i only divulge certain useless info online....lol.

Like me , hope others have no issues with the 1803 - Update , time will tell / i,ll throw a Speccy Report up later......

.http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XJBKKi0Xxa1jThQ47niOQR3

Edited by Havachat, 02 May 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

. . . but i suppose you dont have an option not to rush in and wait and see what others have issues , because its all Auto Update when MS control it.

That is only true on Windows 10 Home [and even then really only once your machine has been placed into an update cohort if you haven't manually updated].  You can even avoid this to a very great extent by setting up all internet connections you use as metered connections.  If, however, your someone with a laptop who "hops on" various WiFi connections you're almost certain to eventually forget to set the connection as metered and the feature update will download.

In Pro and higher versions one can get a much finer level of control over exactly when an update will be applied.  There is an option to defer feature updates for periods of time spanning months if one so desires.   One will, of course, eventually have to update if one wishes to continue to have a supported version of Windows 10, which has been part and parcel of the "Windows As A Service" delivery model since the introduction of Win10.

#12 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

System restore seems to be greyed out after 1803 update. Anybody know the answer to this?  Haven't figured out a way to turn system restore back on. I deleted all previous restore points, clicked "configure" but no option to "create" ....it's greyed out. 

Nevermind...fixed it. 

Edited by Mason21, 02 May 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

System restore seems to be greyed out after 1803 update. Anybody know the answer to this?  Haven't figured out a way to turn system restore back on. I deleted all previous restore points, clicked "configure" but no option to "create" ....it's greyed out. 

Nevermind...fixed it. 

Might I inquire as to how?   That may assist anyone else who encounters the same behavior.

#14 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

1803 installed on the third try. I uninstalled Spectre patch 4090007,disabled a misbehaving blue tooth driver and ran the update trouble shooter which cleaned up some corrupted updates. Which fix corrected it,who knows,but the patch had me worried the most.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

1. After 1803 seeing several reports of recovery drive being assigned a drive letter.  Not expected.  Workaround:  Use Diskpart to remove drive letter.
  2. Alienware laptops and desktop users are reporting issues with the upgrade
  3. Chrome is freezing after the update as noted here:  Known issue.  Fix in the works.

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-lady-early-trending-issues-with-1803/

Alienware 13 R3
Alienware 15 R3
Alienware 15 R4
Alienware 17 R4
Alienware 17 R5

Microsoft is currently blocking these models from installing the update due to a known incompatibility that may cause these devices to display a black screen after resuming from battery saver mode. For this reason, we do not recommend attempting to work around the current block to install the April 2018 Update. Microsoft is currently working on a solution that will be provided in a future Windows Update, after which these devices will be able to install the April 2018 Update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2018 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users