Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Delivery Optimization" for Windows Updates - Does it work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

Every time there is a major update, like a feature update, this question again springs to my mind.

In the Windows Update Advanced Options there is Delivery Optimization, which allows you to specify that parts of previously downloaded updates can be "fetched" from other PCs either on your LAN or from the world at large.   I long ago restricted that to other PCs on my LAN, but I have yet to see evidence that such fetching has occurred.

In the case of major feature updates it could save many hours of download time if the first PC on the LAN that downloaded the update would be used as the source for same for all others on the LAN, but that never seems to happen.

Does anyone know if this mechanism is actually functioning, or is it currently a "place holder" for something that's planned for Win10 that is not yet implemented?  It's been around in settings for a very long time, but all of my machines have consistently downloaded from Microsoft's servers independently of each other even if one machine on the LAN has gone through the complete update process already.  If two or more go after a feature update download at once everything slows to a crawl, bandwidth-wise, since I have DSL.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

Hi britechguy

I know this is an old post and by now, you've figured it out but for those who don't know...
Settings >  Update & Security > Delivery Optimization > Activity monitor...
Here you will find Download / Upload Statistics.

Old Rocker

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

First, thanks.  I had not known about this page, and would love to know when it was introduced, as I am virtually certain it wasn't always there.  

You skipped a step.  In Update & Security you have to hit the "Advanced Options" link before you get to the page with the "Delivery Optimization" link.

It still looks as though the amount of stuff shared via Delivery Optimization, particularly with regard to anything like feature updates, is negligible.  This seems quite the shame to me, as for those who are using wireless internet it can eat through your data allowance, even if that allowance is very large, if each and every machine on that local network is downloading all the feature update files independently of each other.   Shuttling them around from machine to machine within the LAN would be a huge boon as far as minimizing actual download data used.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

The Settings App is a work in progress. I didn't think to take into consideration changes between Released and Insider builds.

On the latest Evaluation copy Build 17713.rs5_release.18076-1551, Delivery Optimization earned it's own entity in the left pane of the Update & Security Window.
Keeping things exciting and users guessing!

Old Rocker

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

The Settings App is a work in progress.

Indeed, and seems to keep getting better as far as I'm concerned.

My answers also become outdated as feature updates change the Settings.  I always base mine on the latest release that's "in the wild" for all users since I stopped being an active Insider a long while back.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

That's a good question Britechguy, I'm also very Interested in the Download settings section.  My ADD is not allowing me to fully get how these settings are utilized.  I played with these a while back but will need to do it again ASAP.  But I did not see much difference when I turned these all up to the max for "Bandwidth used for downloading" Background and Foreground.  My incentive was trying to Clean Install and make the Updates after go faster, as I was not using the machine for anything else at the time.  Can anyone shed some light on this, and remember I'm severely ADD lol.

I'm guessing Background is when one is using the pc, and Foreground is when the PC is not being used?

Settings >  Update & Security > Advanced Options >
Delivery Optimization > Advanced Options Again for
Download Settings.

I'm curious about Download Settings Options:

1. "Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates
in the background." 45%

2. "Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates
in the foreground." 90%

Upload Settings:

1. "Linux hhow much bandwidth is used for uploading updates
to other PC's on the Internet." 50%

2. "Monthly upload limit." 500GB

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

Britechguy, as to your initial question, maybe you need to go to "Advanced sharing Setting"s in "Network and Sharing Center" and "Turn on network discovery" which is Off by Default. 

EDIT: I was wrong, when I opened this section, "Guest or Public" was showing by Default, but "Private" is Set to Share by Default, so you should be good unless your computers are not being shared as "Private".

I wonder if you need to "Turn On File and Printer Sharing" for Public.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 July 2018 - 08:56 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users