Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10 application does not close after Close > Save

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jazzvb

jazzvb

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

hello,

when I use for example Notepad and I want to save and close the window, I click on the red X in the top right corner (the Save as window pops up) and save the file. I expect Notepad to close after that automatically, however, it doesnt.

is this standard in W10 or is there a bug? how do I get my application to close after I click on the red X (and save)?

regards,

jazz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

when I use for example Notepad and I want to save and close the window, I click on the red X in the top right corner (the Save as window pops up) and save the file. I expect Notepad to close after that automatically, however, it doesnt.

is this standard in W10 or is there a bug? how do I get my application to close after I click on the red X (and save)?

If you had notepad, or any other program, closing after hitting the red X and then choosing "Save" (as opposed to "Don't Save") and saving then you've been experiencing non-standard behavior for a very long time.

I don't have my Win7 machine handy, but I never recall having anything close if I did a "Save" or "Cancel" after hitting the red X.

If you want things to close then do the save first then hit the red X.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

On my Windows 7 computer I opened Notepad, typed some letters then clicked the Red X. It asked if I wanted to Save, Don't Save, and Cancel. After clicking Save it asked for a file name which I provided then Notepad closed.

On a Windows 8.1 computer I opened Notepad, typed some letters, clicked the red X, and then I clicked Save. It did not ask for a file name but saved it to the desktop as new text document.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 April 2018 - 06:27 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:33 AM

I don't have my Win7 machine handy, but I never recall having anything close if I did a "Save" or "Cancel" after hitting the red X.

Same as JohnC_21 , no issues on Win 7 or any PC ive had Win 10 etc.

Open Notepad , type whatever , Hit the X , Prompt to { Save / Cancel / Dont Save }

Selected " Save "  - Location - Give File a Name - Click Save { Notepad Closes }.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Odd.

Perhaps I've never noticed this because I have developed the habit of always doing a final "Save" myself before I attempt to exit.

That being said, all three of the Windows 10 machines I've tried this on so far do not close Notepad if one tries to exit using the red X but needs to interrupt the exit with a Save.  Two HP laptops and one Toshiba laptop.  All Win10 Version 1709 64-bit.

I'll have to check how my old Gateway tower with Win10 Pro 32-bit on it behaves.

As a complete aside, it appears that Version 1803 is going to be pushed out far more rapidly than I'd anticipated.  So far three of the 5 computers in my household have begun downloading it (one in the process of installing) on their last Windows Update checks.  I've never had that occur before in the opening days of a feature update.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

My results are the same Brian, Notepad remains open.

Here is a neat little ditty in lieu of an autosave feature for 'Windows Notepad',

Launch 'Windows Notepad' and immediately press Ctrl + S,
When the Save dialogue box opens, choose the 'Save location' and enter a 'filename' press the 'Save button',
Notepad will remain open and you can now begin creating your file,
At intervals of your discretion, press Ctrl + S during the creation of your file to save the contents of the file to that particular point of creation.

It's a simple trick to avoid complete loss of the file should a problem arise.

Old Rocker

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

And, for the record, I've now tried on every laptop in my household, all of which run Win10 Home 64-bit Version 1709 (at least until the feature updates complete) and to a one they all behave the same.  If a "exit via red X" is interrupted by doing a save then Notepad remains open.

Like I said, I probably never notice this in general as it's my habit to do a Save on any file I've modified in any way before attempting to exit, and that's regardless of the program in question.  If I made an accidental change, e.g., hitting the space bar and then backspacing the added space out, I just hit "Don't Save" in those circumstances which does result in the program closing.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Curiouser and Curiouser . . .

I do not get the same behavior when I use MS-Word 2010 as I do with Notepad.  Whether the file is a brand new creation or an existing file being edited, if I red X out, get the save dialog, and save [giving a file name if brand new], it closes.

If I have done a previous save with Notepad while working with the file, it closes.  If a previously existing file is opened with Notepad, changes made, red X-ed out, with Save it closes.

The only instance where Notepad is not closing when red X-ing out where a save is part of it is when that file is brand new and the Save creates the first permanent instance of said file.  If the file pre-exists in any way, including a prior save within the session that created it from scratch, it closes.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 jazzvb

jazzvb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

thanks everybody for the reactions. on my W7 machine it also closed after clicking the red X to save the file.

@ old rocker, the problem is not to save the content now and then in case of losing it. it is about closing the program quicker than 'normal'.

@ britechguy, you are right: i tried that too (open an existing file, change content and close it > save and notepad closed), it worked fine, i didnt know that.

however, the same question remains... : )

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

jazzvb,

Good luck in getting an answer (and that's not meant as snark, either).   These are the sorts of mysteries that I long ago found are more easily solved by modifying my behavior than hoping to find a fix.  That's one of the reasons I always do a save myself before exiting in any program where I've made changes to the data it processes.  It actually speeds things up, particularly for files that already exist and if you use the CTRL+S keyboard shortcut you need not even deal with the dialog (and if it doesn't exist you get it to do that initial save, but only that one).

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

BTW, the behavior is exactly the same under Win10 Pro 32-bit.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 jazzvb

jazzvb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

thanks! no offence taken. you're right as in it is not a big problem, not even an issue. and if i have to, i will use ctrl+s. but i am just curious why it works in W7 and not in W10, is that deliberately? and of course it saves me an extra click and move with the mouse ; ). so i will coninue my quest and if i get any wiser, i will let you guys know on this forum.

k.r.

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

And, for the record, I've now tried on every laptop in my household, all of which run Win10 Home 64-bit Version 1709 (at least until the feature updates complete) and to a one they all behave the same.  If a "exit via red X" is interrupted by doing a save then Notepad remains open.

Correct ! , i may have jumped the Gun on my Win 10 answer , i just dragged out my win 10 lappy and tried notepad etc , and yes if X out , Save Prompt , and Save the File , Notepad doesnt Close.

So another Click on Red X is required to close Notepad.

Sorry Brian for the assumption or my previous answer , maybe im the same ...just never noticed it in Win 10.

I spend 95% on Win 7 and Win 10 is for my learning and understanding it.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:34 PM

Havachat,

Not a problem.  Sometimes it's difficult to know whether what you're recalling is "just what you're recalling" or real.  That's happened to me when it comes to OS minutiae on way more than one occasion.  That's part of the reason I tested on all my machines today as there has been the very rare occasion where the one I use the most consistently somehow is the "odd man out."

By the way, the behavior on this machine is precisely the same now that Version 1803 has been applied.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users